how many people own the world's greatest breed of dog: the german sheperd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaleR, Feb 19, 2002.

1. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

i saw the english bulldog thread and had to start this thread.

the dog that owns me is:

name: Scout

I.Q.: 135

appearance: Handsome

tricks: heel,sit,down,rollover,crawl,speak,shake,get the cat,get your (insert toy name here), got to your crate,hold the treat on your nose til we tell you otherwise.

scout is a great dog though he can be somewhat aggressive if he feels my fiance or myself are threatened. i have always loved german sheperds and in my life three have owned me.

tell me about the sheperd that owns you.

2. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I own a sheperd/lab named Nova. Does that count?[​IMG] He's 5 years old, knows most of the tricks you listed including "playing dead" and "on the carpet". ("On the carpet" means to walk over to and stand on a small door matt when he comes in from the snow so he doesn't get everything wet.) [​IMG]
    When people ask what type of dog he is I tell them that he is a shelab.[​IMG]
    BTW, he's a huge dog and looks more like a sheperd than anything else.

3. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

hey micheal!

i see you live in kanata. you may have noticed that i live in ottawa. pretty much at the corners of smythe and riverside.

yeah nova definitely qualifies at least as an honorary German Sheperd. scout's large too but he usually likes other dogs. is nova friendly?

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Scout would like his capital G and his h returned, no questions asked.
    It's "German shepherd."
    Jim

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I've owned a couple. My newest is a white German shepherd, Tomo, which is the Japanese word for companion. He's a year old and weighs in at I imagine 90-100 pounds. He has the friendliest, happy-go-lucky personality, but, like all shepherds, has that protective, courageous side just in case.

6. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

We have a nine-year-old German Shephard named MOJO. True to reputation, he is very intelligent and extremely protective. He becomes particularly agitated (and intimidating) whenever an adult approaches our young daughter. That's a good boy! [​IMG]

7. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

My mom and dad have a sheperd/chow mix,that is one mean mo-fo.I had one when I was about 6 or 7 but she got hit...The dude came back a few months later and tried to sue us for a dent in his car...of course my mom was smart and took a few pictures of the car at the scene..no dent then.

If I ever get another dog,that is probably what it will be,she was a great dog!

8. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
    My wife and I were thinking of getting a German Shepherd.

How bad do they shed?

How are they with children?

9. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

hi jerry!

scout requires weekly brushing. he doesn't shed alot, but his coat is shorter than some shepherds you may have seen. shepherds are generally better than average with children depending as always on the individual temperment of the dog, if the dog is older or younger when you introduce him to the child, and whether or not the child is mean to the dog. same as any other breed...but they can be fiercely protective of anybody they consider to be part of their "pack" including children.

10. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Hey Dale! I moved from Kanata to the East end past Orleans. We have about an acre of property that he loves to play in. [​IMG] He's very friendly towards other dogs but almost too playful..

11. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

Micheal

across riverside us from is a large park/bikepath/ex-landfill area where Scout can go leashless. it is full of mice and he catches and eats 2-3 a walk. at first we were really concerned about it but it doesn't seem to harm him and the mice are gone so fast there's no way to stop him. he looks like a thompson gazelle when he pounces on hapless mickey/minnie.

12. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

We just got a one year-old from a German Shephard rescue centre. It's a mutt alright, perhaps Golden Retriever in there amongst other things!

Very placid, almost timid. Only time we've heard a peep out of him is when he's heard me scrunching around outside the house and he didn't know who it was! So nicely protective.

I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship :)

13. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    My family had a GS when I was growing up. That was the best dog I've ever seen. It was completely loyal, very obedient, and very protective. It was also very large and scary looking. But around children and the family he was so gentle. We lived in the country and he would hunt rabbits and mice in the large field across from our house. I loved sitting on the porch watching him pounce among the brush. Usually all you could see was his tail wagging until he jumped to nab his prey.
    That dog lived for a very long time until we had to put him down because of illness. We couldn't stand to watch him suffer. [​IMG] Excuse me, I have something in my eye...

14. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

My family has one, and it's a nice dog, but it can't compare to the personallity of a Basset Hound, now that's one heck of a dog.

15. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

16. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob

17. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

i just put that there so Scout would be flattered when he read this thread.[​IMG]

18. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I Bassett could quite easily stop an intruder by tripping him, then licking his face until he ran away. [​IMG]
    Seriously though, you guys got nothing on my old Cocker Spaniel. She didn't lower herself to learn tricks aside from sit. And she did her best to defend our house from the mailman, UPS guy, and those pesky meter readers. Of course, there was the shameful display with the mailwoman. She crouched down and my dog went to her to get petted. Oh the shame! [​IMG] But she knew how to climb fences, tie her chain in knots around the tree so we'd go out to let her loose, get my dad to take her for a walk at her leisure, and climb up on the kitchen counter to eat the top half of an angel food cake. She caught many small animals, a rabbit, a small snapping turtle, a few squirrels and several birds in her life. Why even at the ripe old age of 14 she caught a squirrel, although that may have been a suicide. Now that was a dog!

19. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

I want a German Shepard so bad. But my wife and I will probably wait until after we have kids before we get one. I want it go grow up with the children so it will be used to them. For now I guess I'll just stick to my Papillion (she's great though[​IMG] ).
    Dan