How many people own a SHIVA DIY subwoofer ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tyler, May 28, 2001.

1. Tyler

Tyler Stunt Coordinator

How many people here own a DIY shiva subwoofer ?
    If so what would you compare your DIY Shiva sub to comercial subs ?

2. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

I built one using two of the original Shivas plus two Avatar (Adire) 15" PRs. I haven't auditioned all that many consumer subs (at least I assume that's what you mean as commerical means pro gear to me, and not a direct comparison IMO), but those that I have couldn't hold a candle to the 'mini-contrabass' IMO, not even the big Velodyne.
    GM
    ------------------
    Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

3. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Tyler,
    There are vast amount of ppl that use the driver from HT to the car audio.
    ------------------

4. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

if you check out the link on the upper left hand corner of the diy/advanced section for "sonotube sub projects" you will note that many of the projects are with the shiva driver. I am slappin some paint on my sealed shiva box right now.

5. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

I just built two of them. I'm not through testing yet. I am still waiting on my nOrh speakers before I calibrate. They should arrive this week. I built the Adire vented EBS alignment boxes, they are 142.5L each. I didn't realize how big they are until I got them inside.

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The beauty of the DIY route, Tyler, is you don't have to compromise like many consumer manufacturers do. You can have larger enclosures, larger ports, thicker baffles & enclosures with better bracing, and better amps.
    I built a few sonotube based Shivas and a Tempest and I could never go back to a consumer sub.
    DJ

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I “made” two Shiva subs, more specifically I dropped them into a pair of old tower speakers I had in the closet. The internal volume is 2 cubic feet. As with all other subs I’ve had, they required equalization to get the best performance, and I have flat to 25Hz. These subs with an Adcom GFA-555II amp (325wpc @ 4 ohms) will take everything those bombs and depth charges in U-571 can give them--over 100dB easily.
    No big deal, you say? It is when you consider my listening space is a humongus 6200 cubic feet! (The living room with cathedral ceiling opens up to the dining room, kitchen, entryway and two hallways.) There is no commercial sub on the market that could get this SPL level and extension in a space this big for what I paid:
    $325 for used amp
    $250 for two Shivas
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt