What's new

How many people out there are sitting on the fence about what system to buy? (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
This is the problem with having a good gaming forum combined with a home theater forum.
If your only criteria for a game or console is how it will display or sound on your HT you are not allowed to call yourself a gamer. The very moment you begin to care more about 16x9 than the depth and art of gameplay you should take a step back.
The original NES Zelda is just as fantastic in a 4:3 window on your 65" HD set as it is on a 13" kitchen TV. It's all about how you and the game interact...not how the game and your hardware interact.
-Camp
Dear Camp...
icon14.gif

I could not have said it better myself - :)
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Mario I would wait a bit longer before you make up your mind. The E3 showing was no where near as bad as the mag makes it out to be. Pay attention to the 2 next shows, they will give you a much better picture of what each console is going to offer at launch. The 2 shows are SpaceWorld (for Nintendo), which is coming up next week and the Tokyo Game Show that is in Oct for Xbox (its going to be one hell of a show for Xbox). The media favor has already started to shift from the GC to the Xbox and will continue as the launch dates get closer. Just my advice, do what ever you want with it.
Dean

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you're not sure which one to get, wait until Christmas. Then, you will know about the upcoming games and some of the launch titles will be cheaper. You will also have the X-mas vacation/break to play those games to your heart's content. I'm hoping to get a GCN at or near launch, and an XB by next summer.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Camp: I agree with you about the HT and video game forum issue to a point. The game should always come first and formost, sure ..of course it should. But games are changing and becoming more complex and engrossing all the time. You might even say that some games are more cinematic than game (FF anyone) and because of this, I feel that it is important that the games be presented in the best way possible. Certainly they should have the option of Hi-Def and 16 x 9 with DD or DTS surround sound because of the cinematic nature of many newer games.
I know that just as movies work much better on a big screen in anamorphic 16 x 9 and with multi-channel digital surround sound -so too will video games. Any immersive experience like a video game or film is better when it takes advantage of every tool at its disposal to make it more immersive to the player or viewer.
The content of a game is most important, just as the content of a film is most important ..the presentation is a close second though, and should not be overlooked. :)
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on August 14, 2001 at 02:13 AM]

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Sean,
I have no argument with your post at all. I totally agree. My point was that Ryan was basing his console purchase totally upon his HT. It's almost as if the games didn't matter.

Mike Galvez

Auditioning
Do most people consider the X-Box and GameCube in a different "weight class" than the PS2? I've actually held off a PS2 purchase these past 8 months because I thought the three were in the same league. But I've noticed quite a few folks here have a PS2 and are still going to get either a XB or GC. Will the PS2 get shelved/sold/hooked up to the 13" TV in the garage?
I'm curious to know how it'll all fit into these folks' "digital" lives (not to mention their entertainment centers). My gaming time has gone down as my DVD time has gone up, so I'm only looking to buy one of the three contenders. Look forward to your thoughts.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have to say that I am enjoying how games are starting to take advantage of new abilities and such. Yes, the gameplay is more important, but the great CG FMVs of FF7-9 and the 5.1 of FFX really make the games a better experience. Then again, every Final Fantasy game has immersive gameplay and up to a hundred hours of things to do. I have heard that FFX has some of the best graphics of any videogame available and has over 150 hours of gameplay. This game is a perfect example of what I think a game should be: it takes advantage of the abilities of the console, has an immersive experience, great gameplay, and people can get more than their money's worth out of it. Of course, I have only seen videos and read about it, but from what I know it is a great example of what a true next gen game should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks