1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How many people have you personally converted to OAR lovers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Conklin, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I have personally converted 3, My brother, and 2 of my friends, all of which I picked out a DVD player for and gave them a seemingly unending seminar on the advantages and superiority on OAR/Widescreen.

Well it has paid off, all 3 of these people will settle on nothing but OAR! And they were VCR full frame people all the way, before I educated them.

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I wouldn't say that I have converted my whole family to OAR lovers but they don't complain about black bars any more which is all I ask. The first time I gave my parents a DVD demo back in '98 mom was curious as to why my televion screen wasn't full. Just yesterday she was telling me about how she enjoyed the picture quality + extras on Glory DVD.

3. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

About 10 people.

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Sean, what's up! Great topic BTW. I have converted 5 people all total, both of my parents, well, they're not OAR "lovers", but lets just say that they're OAR "tolerators" now[​IMG], one of my close friends, and my greatest victory, my boss and his wife.
    He couldn't stand OAR until I kept after him about it, and then I lent him my "Widescreen Bible", a comprehensive book that I put together using stuff that I found on the net, he took it home, read through it, showed the info to his wife, and finally saw exactly what I was talking about. This was BEFORE he got his first dvd player, by the time he got it, he was already onboard.

5. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Only one.

6. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Good work John! Sometimes it's pretty tough but I keep on 'em till they see the light! I would try to convert more but I don't know anyone else with a DVD player.

Donnie, also good work! keep it up.

7. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I went to lunch with a co-worker today. He is thinking of buying a DVD player. He wanted to know if he would get those "black bars" at the top and bottom of the screen with DVD's.

I explained that he would. He interrupted and said he probably wouldn't get one then. I then proceeded to explain widescreen vs. pan and scan, and he seemed to understand the reason for the black bars. It was a revelation to him.

It is amazing how uneducated people are about OAR. This guy is very well educated. Definitely not what I would consider a Joe Six Pack!

I have previously converted the majority of my family to OAR.

8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Wahay! I've finally converted Sandra to OAR, took a while though, the brainwashing process was laborious but satisfying, lots of blinking lights, electrodes attached to her forehead, and a machine that goes PING .
    Now Sandra, what is your favorite thing in the whole world?
    "...[DELETED]"
    erm good ok, what is your second favorite thing in the whole world?
    "O.A.R..."
    Wow good girl! So always remember, OAR good, hurting Steve bad.[​IMG]
    Now what do you think of the HTF and its members?
    "...[DELETED]"
    Well done, what an improvement![​IMG]