1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

How many people have you personally converted to OAR lovers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Conklin, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I have personally converted 3, My brother, and 2 of my friends, all of which I picked out a DVD player for and gave them a seemingly unending seminar on the advantages and superiority on OAR/Widescreen.

Well it has paid off, all 3 of these people will settle on nothing but OAR! And they were VCR full frame people all the way, before I educated them.

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    I wouldn't say that I have converted my whole family to OAR lovers but they don't complain about black bars any more which is all I ask. The first time I gave my parents a DVD demo back in '98 mom was curious as to why my televion screen wasn't full. Just yesterday she was telling me about how she enjoyed the picture quality + extras on Glory DVD.

3. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

About 10 people.

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Sean, what's up! Great topic BTW. I have converted 5 people all total, both of my parents, well, they're not OAR "lovers", but lets just say that they're OAR "tolerators" now[​IMG], one of my close friends, and my greatest victory, my boss and his wife.
    He couldn't stand OAR until I kept after him about it, and then I lent him my "Widescreen Bible", a comprehensive book that I put together using stuff that I found on the net, he took it home, read through it, showed the info to his wife, and finally saw exactly what I was talking about. This was BEFORE he got his first dvd player, by the time he got it, he was already onboard.

5. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Only one.

6. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Good work John! Sometimes it's pretty tough but I keep on 'em till they see the light! I would try to convert more but I don't know anyone else with a DVD player.

Donnie, also good work! keep it up.

7. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I went to lunch with a co-worker today. He is thinking of buying a DVD player. He wanted to know if he would get those "black bars" at the top and bottom of the screen with DVD's.

I explained that he would. He interrupted and said he probably wouldn't get one then. I then proceeded to explain widescreen vs. pan and scan, and he seemed to understand the reason for the black bars. It was a revelation to him.

It is amazing how uneducated people are about OAR. This guy is very well educated. Definitely not what I would consider a Joe Six Pack!

I have previously converted the majority of my family to OAR.

8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Wahay! I've finally converted Sandra to OAR, took a while though, the brainwashing process was laborious but satisfying, lots of blinking lights, electrodes attached to her forehead, and a machine that goes PING .
    Now Sandra, what is your favorite thing in the whole world?
    "...[DELETED]"
    erm good ok, what is your second favorite thing in the whole world?
    "O.A.R..."
    Wow good girl! So always remember, OAR good, hurting Steve bad.[​IMG]
    Now what do you think of the HTF and its members?
    "...[DELETED]"
    Well done, what an improvement![​IMG]