What's new

How many people have done away with VCR? (1 Viewer)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I haven't used a VCR in over 3 yrs. I don't record tv shows anymore because if i don't have time to watch them when they are on, I usually don't have time to watch them at all. When my kids get a little older and i have more free time i will be getting a DVD recorder or PVR. With my widescreen set VHS doesn't look very good anyway.

Dalton

Reece

Stunt Coordinator
Whenever I hack into my tivo or replay and they're down for a day or two, the vcrs actually get some use. Other than that they make good clocks.

As for my vcr tapes.... they make good stocking stuffers for friends and family who ask...What is a DVR?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Now if someone could suggest a FAST tuner DVR
I dunno if they'll ever be fast, given the way they play from their buffer. What about an outboard HDTV tuner?

I still have three VCRs hooked up (too lazy to remove them) but use only one once in a while when the recordings double up. A ReplayTV does the bulk of the recording. I have all three on auto-clock-set, but they're never synced....

//Ken

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Well I must be the exception ;) I still have 3 vcr's in my system & 3 other ones in the house. I will probably be getting a DVD Recorder as soon as the prices come down some more but just to record programs when I'm out. I must have at least 400 video tapes of tv series & I'm not going to transfer them to DVD's until their are "NEW" HD DVD Recorders & a format that will be around for awhile.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
VCR only once got hooked up to my HT and that was when Phantom Menace came out. Other than that, it now has a 100ft restraining order filed against it by my HT and will never come in contact again.

Kevin

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I use mine so often it's flashing 12:00, LOL my g/f still watches some older movies that she borrows from my mother. My mother does not want to move to DVD because she has 100's of VHS tapes. I on the other hand REFUSE to watch VHS, it looks horrible blown up on my projector.

It's great for pron too LOL (j/k)

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
I have a prosumer SVHS VCR that puts out a pretty decent image (Sony R1000)and terrific FM stereo sound, so I still use it occasionally sandwiched in between watching DVD flicks when available.

It seems to me that if you like movies of a fairly broad genre, that you still must put up with a VCR because many films are not yet available on DVD. I do search out WS versions of VHS and SVHS films, however, as P&S of course doesn't do it for me.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I thought at first this was going to be a dumb question. I guess not. Glad to see so many people responded to it. Just think in 20 years I might be asking the same thing about DVD players.

Paul Stiles

Agent
I have never bought a VCR. I can't say I have never owned a VCR because a friend gave me one when he upgraded. I kept it for a few months and then tried to play a tape on it (a Tektronix or HP o'scope demo tape). The @#%&&^*3 VCR would not play the tape so the tape and the VCR went into the trash can.

...and that concludes my experience with video tape and their players.

I was not into video at all until DVDs became available.

Now I am.

Paul

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
I still have, and use, my VCR very much. For me it's the most important thing in my HT set-up. Most of the movies I like are ONLY on VHS. The movies are the thing that's matter, not the PQ. ;)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I dub off my Tivo to S-VHS occasionally. I record the most hilarious episodes of South Park and sometimes movies off TCM. ANGELS IN THE OUTFIELD came out better than the particulary lousy Laserdisc I own of it. Maybe I'll get a disc-based recorder system eventually? As bad as TV is getting...there may be little need? "

...I'm the tool of the government, and industry too, for I am destined to rule, and regulate you...I am the best you can get, have you guessed me yet? I am the slime oozin' out from your TV set..." - Frank Zappa

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
Since going with the DTV back in Feb. I have used the VCR about 3 times. CAn't sat that I miss it at all.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
Just bought a cheap S-VHS recorder with S-video output (JVC HR-S2901, for $100) preparatory to transferring old videos to DVD recorder, to replace my old VCR. Other than that, haven't use VCRs much -- the picture quality of prerecorded and home-recorded tapes is just pathetic compared to DVD, IME.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Rachael,

To get through the top 100 what sources did you have to employ?

i.e. Did it take LD, VCR, and DVD to source all 100 for your viewing? Or, are they all on DVD and that's what you used for sourcing?

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
I still have a vcr but don't use it for HT purposes. I mostly tape tv shows and watch chinese rental tapes. I wouldn't mind getting a S-VHS recorder for the ablity recorded my tv shows in s-video and output a nicer s-video image to the tv.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I have never plugged my VCR into my Mits 65" widescreen. I just don't want to see something with that bad of a resolution line-doubled on my big screen. It gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it. I have the VCR and my son's PS2 plugged into a 27" TV in my computer room. Everybody's happy!

Pete

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Still have mine in my rack.

In fact, just last night we watched "Monsters Inc." (neighbor's tape). Though I know it would look pretty fuzzy on a 40"+ screen, on the 27" it looked fine. Sound was very good & surround channels got a workout. Hi-Fi stereo sound can be nearly as good as Dolby Digital, except for individual channel separation. BTW: Monsters Inc. was very good & had many laugh-out-loud parts: highly recommended! :emoji_thumbsup:

I don't plan on getting a PVR anytime soon, so my VCR will remain hooked up for a long time. And I certainly am not embarrassed to be doing this. I have many movies and specialty shows still not on dvd, and many of those movies aren't worth buying again but I still watch them occasionally. Also, I have a lot of sports training videos & college wrestling matches on VHS that I still use/watch. Lastly, since they stuck MST3K on at eight in the morning on Saturday (why??) tape is the only way I can watch it now!

LJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks