How many people have done away with VCR?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David Preston, Jun 12, 2003.

1. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I was just curious to see how many people think VCRs make their HT look out dated. How many people still use them and how many have put them away? I myself don't really use them so I don't see the need for one but my wife still has some old movies she likes to watch from time to time on tapes. Right now I have a DVD/VCR combo I got for Christmas. When I get a new DVD player this one is going to the bedroom and no VCR in the HT.
    If this don't belong here please move it.

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I haven't had a VCR connected to my HT for 2-3 years now. Up until six months ago I had VCR in my bedroom but that's been retired too.

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Although I mostly watch dvds, and use a tivo for recording off of tv, there are still tons of old movies I haven't seen, that are only available for rent on vhs, so I still have a vcr for that purpose.

4. Chuck Sch

Chuck Sch Auditioning

I continue to have the ol' VCR in the system currently. My kids have close to a hundred movies they enjoy and they are all on tape. Until the price of DVD recorders come down and I can copy them over to DVD, the VCR stays for my family's enjoyment.

Chuck
    [​IMG]

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I still have a SVHS vcr in my equipment rack, but the device has not seen any use for months. I am contemplating adding a DVD recorder, which would take the place of the vcr in my setup.

6. AlbertL

AlbertL Agent

I was wondering this as well! Good question.

Space is at a premium for me, so my VCR and even my laserdisc player are gathering dust in a closet. My main HT room is for DVD and HD only. The bedroom's 32-inch Sony uses a second DVD player and also a DVR for those time delayed CSI episodes.

No room for the poor old VCR and laserdisc - the tapes and laserdiscs themselves take up too much room. After years of living in clutter I now opt for more minimalism :)

7. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Stunt Coordinator

I still have VCRs both in the family room and bedroom, but we hardly ever use them. I never use them for recording, as I have both Replay TV and a DVD burner, but there are still some movies not out on DVD yet that we watch on VCR, notably Quick Change, Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead and Noises Off. I also keep the VCR there to dub stuff I and others have recorded to videotape to my DVD burner, as I have an older mini-VHS video camera.

8. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i have a VCR in the kids' playroom, but haven't had one hooked to the HT for 3-4 years.

9. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

I still have a VCR hooked up, but I don't remember the last time I actually used it. Has to have been over 6mos ago. Mainly it's a back up for the TiVo now, in case there's 2 things on I want to record at the same time.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Even with 2 ReplayTVs in my HT, I have a VCR as well because there are time where I want to record 3 shows that are all on at the same time, and having more than 2 ReplayTVs in the HT rack is remote control madness.

Also, the analog cable TV tuner in my VCR is better than my tuner in TV or in my ReplayTVs, and the VCR's tuner is faster at changing channels too.

11. DaveLenhert

DaveLenhert Stunt Coordinator

Partick nailed it right on the head. I have a projector now, and need the tuner in the VCR. Personally, I can't STAND waiting more then a second for the video/audio stream to lockin on the cable feed. I can't even stand the DirectTV and Digital Cable tuners, they take toooo long. Now if someone could suggest a FAST tuner DVR (where I could block out undesired channels, 1/2 of the channels are advertisements for cable company) I would gladly get rid of my VCR

-Dave

12. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

We use ours allt he time still. With a 2 yr old and Disney's Nazi facism on releasing old movies on DVD, we will need one right up until I can get a DVD-R and transfer those tapes. Seriously, why the heck isn't Aladdin available on DVD by now?

We still love our VCR, until there is another way to record that is easy to transport, we'll keep it.

13. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

I still have my JVC SVHS hooked up but haven't watched a video with it since I got a widescreen HDTV monitor a year and half ago. I still have it in the rack because there's room for it and it has the correct time displayed on it.

14. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

I just took my vcr out of my main setup (along with my H/K cassette deck) to make room for the separate amps I've been buying. I also removed the many racks of VHS tapes that were taking up so much space. It seemed like a total waste considering I might watch a few per year at best. Heck...if there's one I want to watch I'll just buy the freakin' DVD I guess.

15. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

I took mine out of the rack a couple of months ago. I wanted to watch an old movie on VHS, but it didn't work. I opened the case to see if it was something simple, like a broken or loose connection, but I didn't see anything obvious. I also realized it hadn't been used for almost 2 years, so I'm not in a real hurry to replace it. But if I find a cheap SVHS player I might pick it up.

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Oh yeah, at least my VCR isn't flashing 12:00 either! It displays the right time, and I do use it like a clock for the HT. It's very helpful to know when the shows are starting up (or winding down), especially since I rarely wear a watch anymore.

17. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Stunt Coordinator

One thing I did do was give away all my tapes that I have dupes of in DVD. No point keeping those things around.

18. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I got a VCR in the kid's system so they can watch their Disney tapes, but earlier this year I got a Replay TV to record the weekly shows we like to watch in the main room.

DJ

19. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    What's a VCR?!? [​IMG]

20. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I have 2 VHS's and 1 Beta- the Beta gets more use out of the 3. I also have a CED player!
    Last movie watched on Beta- Can I Do It Til I Need Glasses?
    Last CED watched- We're All Devo