What's new

How many of you use component video switching? (1 Viewer)

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
Still pondering which receiver to get. Right now I am leaning toward the onkyo 600, mainly because it is affordable and has component video. However some of you have suggested that I skip the component video and put that money towards better speakers. Well that sounds like a good plan but I gotta find a receiver that will hold my components.

Here is what I have to hook up if I skipped component in/out:

Sampo DVD player: component input directly to TV. Toslink to receiver.

2nd DVD player: composite or S-video to receiver (video only)/ monitor out to TV. toslink or coax to receiver

VCR: composite to receiver/ monitor out to TV

Satellite: composite to receiver/ same as above

Playstation: composite to receiver/ same

cd player: audio to receiver. Using "B" speakers.

"A" speakers will be 5.1 set up

That's the set up if I didn't get a receiver with component video

If I got the 600, I would use the two component inputs for the DVD players, that would be the only difference

Having said that, I couldn't find another receiver in that price range that would best suit my needs. Perhaps you guys know otherwise.

JonBouche

Agent
Niel,

Can't you run the 2 DVD players directly to the TV and the rest of the components through a receiver, rather than trying to find a receiver with component switching? It would always be a preference to run component directly to the TV rather than possibly introducing some degradation through a receiver. Composite and S-video is not that critical due to the bandwidth of the signal. This would greatly increase your choice of receivers in that price range.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That would be assuming he has TWO component video inputs on his TV, which it doesn't sound like he has, or component video switching would not be an issue for him.

My question is, why have two DVD players in the one system?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
A lot of people use component video connections, but the real question here seems to be whether people use component video switching. I don't, so I can't offer much help, but let me edit the thread title and see whether that attracts more attention.
M.

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
My TV has one component video input only, so I could use that for 1 DVD player and composite input for the other.

Why two DVD players? because I bought my codefree DVD player due to the fact that I buy region 2 DVD's as well. Unfortunately, I bought it right before the MPAA came out with a new "format" preventing codefree DVD players from reading certain region 1 DVD's. for example: A knight's tale, snatch. Amazon.com as a list of all the movies under this new format. I will try to dig it up for those interested

Milton

Auditioning
There would also be a need for component video switching if one had an HDTV and a progressive scan DVD, both of which require a component video input.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks