How many of you take the protective screen off of your tv's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adams, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I was reading the thread on what cloth to use on your screen and that brought me to my question. I am thinking about taking my protective screen off of my tv. I am getting a terrible glare during the day from my kitchen window. I do have 2 kids but they do not go close to the tv. Is there any downfall to taking it off?

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The screen is more fragile than the plexiglass. Also somewhat harder to clean. More expensive to replace.

Most people that remove the screen never go back. Maybe 3 of 1000+ clients have gone back.

Regards

3. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

When Gregg Loewen told me it would be a mistake to put the protective screen back on my Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD after he finished his ISF calibration on it, I wasn't sure what to do. I decided to keep it off after seeing that I had no more problems with ambient light or glare from any source. The PQ on this set is fantastic now. I will keep it off forever!!

BTW, I went to my buddies house last night to watch the Super Bowl, and he had just removed the protective screen from his 65" Mits....much improved picture.

I say take it off, and leave it off!!

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Yea, this is what I was leaning towards. I know it is probably different from brand and manufacturer but is it fairly simple to take off?

5. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

I always wondered why my set was delivered with the screen already off and packed as a separate unit. Its a Mits 65807 and the screen has never been on the set, or even removed from its packaging. And from what I'm seeing here, I guess it will stay in its packaging.

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Yea, I totally wish I would have had them leave it off when they delivered it. I am going to go home tonight and see how hard it is to take off. The sad thing is, I have been dealing with glare for 2 years now. I should have explored this option long ago.