What's new

how many of you liked or disliked final fantasy? (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i was thinking of buying it. i am studying computer graphics ( for masters degree ) and i want to collect all cgi movie for reference, etc etc.

but people said the movie sucked. i havent seen it...is it worth purchasing?

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I wouldn't buy it. I didn't like it that much. I would consider it a renter.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Film is subjective so you are going to get a lot of different opinions. If you are studying CG on graduate level, this is a no brainer. Go pick up the DVD. Besides, with your topic heading, this belongs in the Polls section.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I've seen it at least 6 or 7 times since I bought the dvd and watched all the fantastic extras twice over, so yeah I think I liked it, and watched it at the cinema too.

I wish there were more SF animation epics like this, but alas...

Final Fantasy was a milestone in animation, in a few years it will be rediscovered and appreciated as a seminal SF classic.

I'm also a fan of Japanimation, lost count how many times I've watched Akira.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
chad

thanks for the reminder. i know about a search function, i know how to use it, but i always forget its existance.

sorry

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I went in expecting the worst after all the negative reviews, but came out surprised and I bought the DVD when it came out. I don't think it's great but its definately worth a view. You should rent if your unsure. But doin a computer animation course I think you'll like it.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I iwsh I could agree with my fellow forum members, but I hated it. In my opinion, completely lifeless with an uninteresting and boring story. CGI is terrific, but this movie showed CGI actors won't be replacing real actors for at least another 100 years. The characters were lifeless and emotionless.

Ok, I can't stop ranting now. This is all in my humble opinion.

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
I bought that DVD. Visually, you simply cannot go wrong with this movie. Frankly, this is the best animation I ever saw. And the story is not bad either. A definite buy!

DarrenA

Second Unit
Everyone here proclaimed Akira as the best anime ever made, and Final Fantasy was dull and boring. I found this to be the exact opposite. Akira just about put me to sleep it was so dull and boring and I loved the story behind Final Fantasy. Go figure! I guess that's what so great about this hobby, everyone can have an opinion on a movies story without being wrong.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I did not like this film in the theater, but loved it on DVD. I went in expecting to be confused by the story having played all the PSX versions of the games, so I don't know why I'm surprised I had to view it twice to fully understand what was going on. Give it a chance, then give it another!

Pieter

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I quite liked it. When I saw it in the theaters, I thought pacing was a problem, but the CGI more than made up for it.

I just picked up the DVD, and I didn't have any problems with the pacing.

As for studying it, hell ya. There's a lot worse than you could study.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
CGI was flat out amazing.

Movie was, well, OK.

I would have enjoyed the movie more if they'd had some type of intro explaining what in the world was going on. Same problem I have with some future world is shattered type movies. Spend about 20 to 30 min showing me what in the world happened. Give me some background why there is a main bad guy (Postman comes to mind so I don't give away plot of this since you've not seen it). Or why there is someone that is supposed to be good who is irrationaly doing what people say don't do.

I mean, my recent comparo for this is LOTR:FOTR. The Sauron intro with how the ring came into being took no more than 15 min tops, it was perfect. Movies need this if they are set into the future or into the past.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
It was a lot better than I thought it would be. However, I probably wouldn't buy it. It is certainly worth a look, though. :)

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
If your studying computer graphics, getting this is a no brainer. IMHO, the physical appearence and reaction of skin, clothing, and hair to the character movments and the environment seemed very realistic and natural.

I think that the big short comming was that the actual movements themselves did not seem very natural, having a more robotic quality. They have a long way to go in that regard.

As for the movie itself, it started out well enough, but it became more and more of a mess as it went along. Definetly an acquired taste.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
As has been said, if you're studying graphics its a no-brainer. This disc is rather cheap, and even if you don't like the film (its something of an opinion splitter) the extras and the quality of modelling will be worth it. As has been said, the motion-capture based human animation isn't very good, but the virtual set design and the static models are rendered wonderfully. The making-of documentaries are fascinating, and you may even learn something.

Finally, I only payed £2 more for the DVD with complete isolated score than I did for the score CD, so its a bargain if you like Goldenthal as much as I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks