how many of you liked or disliked final fantasy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Jan 17, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i was thinking of buying it. i am studying computer graphics ( for masters degree ) and i want to collect all cgi movie for reference, etc etc.

but people said the movie sucked. i havent seen it...is it worth purchasing?

2. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I wouldn't buy it. I didn't like it that much. I would consider it a renter.

3. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

4. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

Film is subjective so you are going to get a lot of different opinions. If you are studying CG on graduate level, this is a no brainer. Go pick up the DVD. Besides, with your topic heading, this belongs in the Polls section.

5. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I've seen it at least 6 or 7 times since I bought the dvd and watched all the fantastic extras twice over, so yeah I think I liked it, and watched it at the cinema too.

I wish there were more SF animation epics like this, but alas...

Final Fantasy was a milestone in animation, in a few years it will be rediscovered and appreciated as a seminal SF classic.

I'm also a fan of Japanimation, lost count how many times I've watched Akira.

6. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

chad

thanks for the reminder. i know about a search function, i know how to use it, but i always forget its existance.

sorry

7. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Almost all of me liked Final Fantasy. :)

8. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Bought it sight unseen and liked quite a lot. Thoughtful script and stunning animation...

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    It's a good film. It is comparable to Japanimation with that kind of theme.

10. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I went in expecting the worst after all the negative reviews, but came out surprised and I bought the DVD when it came out. I don't think it's great but its definately worth a view. You should rent if your unsure. But doin a computer animation course I think you'll like it.

11. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I iwsh I could agree with my fellow forum members, but I hated it. In my opinion, completely lifeless with an uninteresting and boring story. CGI is terrific, but this movie showed CGI actors won't be replacing real actors for at least another 100 years. The characters were lifeless and emotionless.

Ok, I can't stop ranting now. This is all in my humble opinion.

12. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
    I bought that DVD. Visually, you simply cannot go wrong with this movie. Frankly, this is the best animation I ever saw. And the story is not bad either. A definite buy!

13. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I thought the story sucked.
    Is this a poll? [​IMG]

14. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

Everyone here proclaimed Akira as the best anime ever made, and Final Fantasy was dull and boring. I found this to be the exact opposite. Akira just about put me to sleep it was so dull and boring and I loved the story behind Final Fantasy. Go figure! I guess that's what so great about this hobby, everyone can have an opinion on a movies story without being wrong.

15. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

I did not like this film in the theater, but loved it on DVD. I went in expecting to be confused by the story having played all the PSX versions of the games, so I don't know why I'm surprised I had to view it twice to fully understand what was going on. Give it a chance, then give it another!

Pieter

16. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

I quite liked it. When I saw it in the theaters, I thought pacing was a problem, but the CGI more than made up for it.

I just picked up the DVD, and I didn't have any problems with the pacing.

As for studying it, hell ya. There's a lot worse than you could study.

17. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

CGI was flat out amazing.

Movie was, well, OK.

I would have enjoyed the movie more if they'd had some type of intro explaining what in the world was going on. Same problem I have with some future world is shattered type movies. Spend about 20 to 30 min showing me what in the world happened. Give me some background why there is a main bad guy (Postman comes to mind so I don't give away plot of this since you've not seen it). Or why there is someone that is supposed to be good who is irrationaly doing what people say don't do.

I mean, my recent comparo for this is LOTR:FOTR. The Sauron intro with how the ring came into being took no more than 15 min tops, it was perfect. Movies need this if they are set into the future or into the past.

18. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

It was a lot better than I thought it would be. However, I probably wouldn't buy it. It is certainly worth a look, though. [​IMG]

19. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    If your studying computer graphics, getting this is a no brainer. IMHO, the physical appearence and reaction of skin, clothing, and hair to the character movments and the environment seemed very realistic and natural.

I think that the big short comming was that the actual movements themselves did not seem very natural, having a more robotic quality. They have a long way to go in that regard.

As for the movie itself, it started out well enough, but it became more and more of a mess as it went along. Definetly an acquired taste.

20. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

As has been said, if you're studying graphics its a no-brainer. This disc is rather cheap, and even if you don't like the film (its something of an opinion splitter) the extras and the quality of modelling will be worth it. As has been said, the motion-capture based human animation isn't very good, but the virtual set design and the static models are rendered wonderfully. The making-of documentaries are fascinating, and you may even learn something.

Finally, I only payed £2 more for the DVD with complete isolated score than I did for the score CD, so its a bargain if you like Goldenthal as much as I do.