What's new

How many of you have tipped display delivery drivers to perform extra tasks? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
First, this is not a question of whether you should tip a driver to help you with extra services.
I am wondering how many of you have had the need to do it --- and the success rate.
I am getting a 65" display delivered to my home tomorrow. I will be by myself.
Driver's responsibility is to only unload display and leave at driveway.
Plan to persuade the driver to do the following with my assistance...
* Bring display into house and up one flight of stairs to second floor.
* Lift old display from stand and place in corner of room
* Allow me to unbox and put pedestal on display
* Lift new display onto stand
The display weighs 125 lbs.
I would estimate that is 15-20 minutes worth of help at most.
Plan to tip driver $60 for the job.
Just hoping driver will be enticed by the proposal.
Have any of you done anything similar?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have never tipped a driver. However, I never asked him to do what you're asking him to do. If so then I would definitely tip as you're doing. From my experience from last year, setting up that display is definitely a two man job. Not so much for the weight for me, but the dimensions of the display. I made sure that I had made prior arrangements from the store I bought the 65" VT, for the driver and his helper to not only unbox the display, but set it up and make sure it was running satisfactory before leaving with the empty box. Also, I was able to unbox and setup my 50" GT myself, but even that difficult due to its dimensions.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert,

Given that the delivery driver has places to be, I am hoping time will be on my side.

All I need for him to wait for is the unboxing and then attachment of the pedestal.

I don't think screwing in the pedestal should take more than 5 minutes.

In all, from truck to hauling upstairs to complete set-up I am hoping to have it all
done within 15-20 minutes.

I hope $60 will be sufficient for 20 minutes worth of work and waiting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Robert,

Given that the delivery driver has places to be, I am hoping time will be on my side.

All I need for him to wait for is the unboxing and then attachment of the pedestal.

I don't think screwing in the pedestal should take more than 5 minutes.

In all, from truck to hauling upstairs to complete set-up I am hoping to have it all
done within 15-20 minutes.

I hope $60 will be sufficient for 20 minutes worth of work and waiting.
Ron,

Whatever you can negotiate to get his help. Congrats on getting a great display! I wish I could justify getting the same, but I really can't as both displays are working very well for me. I might get them professionally calibrated instead.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Depends on the trucking company actually.

Old Dominion, you could offer a steak...a hooker three-way...and they still won't go more than 2 feet off your curb.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
First, this is not a question of whether you should tip a driver to help you with extra services.
I am wondering how many of you have had the need to do it --- and the success rate.
I am getting a 65" display delivered to my home tomorrow. I will be by myself.
Driver's responsibility is to only unload display and leave at driveway.
Plan to persuade the driver to do the following with my assistance...
* Bring display into house and up one flight of stairs to second floor.
* Lift old display from stand and place in corner of room
* Allow me to unbox and put pedestal on display
* Lift new display onto stand
The display weighs 125 lbs.
I would estimate that is 15-20 minutes worth of help at most.
Plan to tip driver $60 for the job.
Just hoping driver will be enticed by the proposal.
Have any of you done anything similar?
$60 is generous....did it go OK?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, sorry I never reported back....

I made out real well. The moment I saw the driver get off the truck I knew he would be cool.

When I asked him if he wanted to make $60 and told him what I needed, he smiled and said, "sure."He helped me inside with the box. Helped me unpack it, attach the pedestal and lift it into place.

Took just under 20 minutes.

I lucked out.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would, Robert....

....as well as getting the replacement in the house...

...which is the current problem I am facing.

The ZT60, for the most part, is performing admirably.

Great picture. Would prefer it to be a little brighter sometimes, but that's a small complaint.

The bigger problem at hand is the issues with 3D.

When it works, the 3D looks SPECTACULAR.

Just more than a few times there were issues with 3D not being detected properly.

Someone is saying it could be a handshake problem between the Oppo and the Panasonic display.

Not quite sure it's worth going to all the trouble returning the Panny over 3D issues that could probably be resolved by pushing a menu button.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I've had the occasional 3D handshake problem between the Oppo and my Mits. What I found is that I have to have the TV powered on completely before I power on the Oppo, then it works every time.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think 50 would have been plenty.I guess you didnt buy the tv from Costco or another club store.They will bring the tv in the house and two flights of stairs for no additional charge.35 bucks gets you the white gl o ve as described below.Costco.....Standard shipping via furniture carrier. “Threshold delivery” includes delivery into member’s home (upwards to 2 exterior flights of stairs). Carrier will call to set up a 4-hour delivery window. Extraordinary delivery requirements may necessitate an additional fee to the carrier. The estimated delivery time will be approximately 7-10 business days from the time of order. White Glove delivery is available for an additional fee quoted at check out. Carrier delivers in-home to room of choice and will remove all packing materials. You didnt say who you bought the tv from but I think you were ripped off on the delivery.I did tip the two guys 20 bucks because I needed my 200 pound mits moved off the stand to the other side of the room about 10 feet.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tony,

To get that kind of service I would have to buy a TV from Costco...

...why would I want to do that? Halfway kidding. Costco doesn't sell high-end displays
as far as I am aware. I am never impressed by the displays that are sold at price clubs.

Costco's delivery terms are not across the board with other retail vendors. I have been
purchasing displays online for years and never had those delivery options available. The
display is either A). dropped off in the driveway or B). Brought just inside the home.

Mind you, some retailers do offer "white glove service" but that was not available from
the retailer I purchased from. Additionally, the purchase of a Panasonic vs. a Samsung
came with different delivery options. If I bought a Samsung the TV would have been
brought inside my home, first floor. The Pansonic was simply driveway delivery.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
True Costco doesnt sell "audiophile" Products or high end but if they have what one is looking for it is very good.They offer 2 years on the warranty included and an additional 3 for only $99.On the other hand if someone is buying and paying for high end product from a specialty high end retailer/etailer there is no excuse for not including in Home delivary. Oh well.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Last big thing I had delivered, I requested a drop ship to the local Dayton Freight(1/2 mile away). Makes it easy to refuse if damaged.

But I'm also able bodied and there are always 2-3 people here.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Why wouldnt you be able to ref u se it at your house if it is damaged.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Are you going to open up a TV in your driveway, in the rain...to check for damage?

Also, curb side delivery. Many trucking companies won't even check to see if you are home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks