What's new

How many of you have finished Halo on the hardest mode? (1 Viewer)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Just trying to get an idea of how good you are :) I didn't try easy, played half-way through on normal when I rented it, bought it and finished it on hard. Now I'm trying the toughest mode, and having a *really* hard time. I've been at it for 3 nights now, and I'm still with the Warthog trying to rescue the 3 sets of soldiers (I'm at the first set). So that should give you some idea of what I mean by a hard time.

Also, if I get XBL and try Wolf or GR against you guys, it'll be good to have some idea of what I'm up against :)

Saurav

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I beat it on the hardest but really, I didn't find it all that hard. It was just a matter of learning the basics of what the enemy does. I was a little disappointed how fast I went through it. This was just on single player, perhaps it's harder with coop on.
Thanks

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I thought it was pretty challenging and I agree The Library may have been the hardest. The thing is after ur done playing on Legendary, its kind of a bore playing it lower diff than that. It seems like..."Hey....that's it?"

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Not I. I get slammed on anything but Easy. I can make it up until about the 3rd or 4th level on normal and then I just completely fall apart.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
OK, at least I'm not the only one finding it difficult :) I made some progress after I started this thread though, and I agree, a lot of it is figuring out how to beat the enemy. I kept getting stuck with low ammo, low health, and surrounded by the big blue guys.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I got to like the third group of ppl on the same leve as you saurav. If i didn't have another game to play i'd probably give it an actual attempt but it's just not worth it for me.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I do have other games to play, kinda. I'm in the middle of Buffy in Normal mode, and I can't get past the 2 shrimp monsters, I used up too many hellfire bolts killing shrimp monsters in the previous level. Also, Shenmue crashed after a really long cut-scene (the Kowloon thing) so I'll have to sit though all of that again. That's pretty much why I picked up Halo again.

I need to buy some more games :)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'm a die-hard "Heroic" level player. :) Tried Legendary and got stuck right about where you got stuck.

I can't imagine being in The Library on Legendary. Heroic is quite enough for me that, it's a challenge and not a total frustration.

Once I cross over that imaginary line that divides challenge/frustration, I start thinkin' about quittin'.

Normal and easy are a joke...imho. :)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine being in The Library on Legendary. Heroic is quite enough for me that, it's a challenge and not a total frustration.
That's kinda what I'm thinking too, there are some levels that were hard enough (and sometimes pretty frustrating too) on Heroic. However, I think you "play smarter" as you go through it a second time. For instance, I played halfway through the game on Normal, and then started again on Heroic, and actually got through some levels faster.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Also, Shenmue crashed after a really long cut-scene (the Kowloon thing)
Mine did that too......twice. I eventually had to replace the DVD drive in my Xbox and that fixed it(I was getting a lot of DDE's in other games too).

I finished Halo on legendary playing with my fiance, but I likely couldn't do it alone. However, the game got a lot easier each time we played through, even on higher difficulties, so I could probably do it by myself with some practice.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I've been toying with the idea of replacing the DVD drive too. Other games have been locking up and/or refusing to load.

Replacing the DVD won't get "detected" as a mod and have my Xbox banned from Live, will it? Does that work similar to XP's product activation in any way?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Halo was the reason I purchased the XBox. It's the first console that I've owned since the Atari 2600. (Yes that's quite a few years between consoles)

From the very start I have only played it in Legendary mode. I always figure that if you are going to play a game you might as well play it on the hardest level possible.

Even though I can complete the game anytime on Legendary mode I still find it a get way to kill a little time now and then.

Can't wait for Halo2 this fall.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I beat it on Legendary. If there's anything I've learned, is that part of what makes games hard is people's inpatience. Not saying that's what is afflicting the folks here, but if you follow the old saying, "slow and steady wins the race", you'll beat it on Legendary.

Oh, and don't forget to use the butt of your gun more often. :D

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Slow and steady is right. Also, it was that difficulty that made me realize I have to use the Alien weapons which I have learned to love now.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Slow and steady is right. Also, it was that difficulty that made me realize I have to use the Alien weapons which I have learned to love now.
I still hate the Covenant weapons. I've read both Halo novels and my hatred of the aliens is such that I try not to use their filthy weapons. :)

...but I agree that it probably would help beating it on Legendary.

Still...slow and steady usually wins the race. That's an impossible tactic at a couple of the "choke points" in The Library.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I still hate the Covenant weapons. I've read both Halo novels and my hatred of the aliens is such that I try not to use their filthy weapons. :)
Well, I haven't, and apart from the pistol, sniper rifle and shotgun, I stick with alien weapons :) Oh, and the bazooka of course. The assault rifle is pretty much useless against anything except the flood, the alien shields require too much ammo and time with the assault rifle. I started playing Halo thinking that the rifle would be a powerful weapon, halfway through the game I was passing up on the rifle for a plasma pistol. Even a needler is more effective if you can sneak up on someone.

OK, if this post sounds frustrated, that's because I just got inside the Truth and Reconciliation. I've spent most of today trying to clear that one room :)

James D S

Screenwriter
Still...slow and steady usually wins the race. That's an impossible tactic at a couple of the "choke points" in The Library.
Derrik,
I still have nightmares of that one small room Guilty Spark "traps" you in and while you're waiting for him to unlock one of the doors the Flood come pouring out of two ventilation/refuse(?) shafts. I just huddle in the corner and unload clip after precious clip of shotgun shells... Then die and try again... and again... and again... and...

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
"Even a needler is more effective if you can sneak up on someone."

The first time I played through the game (on Normal), I didn't touch the needler. On Heroic, however, I'm almost always carrying one around. I think it's one of the most effective weapons against the Elites. You may want to try using it a bit more often to see if it helps you advance...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks