What's new

How many of you have actually used Digital Copy? (1 Viewer)

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
I like the idea of it, but like Ronald above, I dislike the expiration of such

totally agree

the only DC I have ever activated was the excellent Star Trek reboot, on my PC at work, and watched a small portion of this film as I was intrigued by the process

months later (during the recent Christmas period) our retail store was very quiet and I had the spare time to rewatch this film, but was defeated by the DC system asking me for the activation code, which was sitting inside the Blu-Ray casing...AT HOME

big fail in my humble opinion, I deleted the DC from my PC and have never bothered since!

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I don't care for the whole concept. I don't want any movie taking up a chunk of space on my hard drive. Don't like the expiration date...why should they have one? Give me a movie I can play, then remove from the drive. Physical media, baby.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I use them all the time it is nice to have a collection of movies on my iPad. Sadly I have more then will fit on my iPad. :) Hopefully, the continue and increase the number of them.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I tried the digital copy on the recent Star Trek movie, just to see what it was like. But the quality was REALLY bad. If I choose to break the law, I could make a MUCH better copy myself.

Doug

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Watched the new Star Trek on the way back from Las Vegas and it made the flight go by fast! The first time I watched Watchmen was the digital copy while flying to Florida. I enjoy having them on my netbook but I won't go out of the way to buy them. Speaking of Watchmen, I thought it was really big of the studio to send out digital copies of the director's cut!

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I just looked and I have 58 Digital Copies. I would say if the movie is dark then it is just OK (most of Predators for example). I think it is because the iPad just can't do it. Most of the movies look fine on the iPad or my phone. They look just OK on my 1080p laptop.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Brian L

I import every one to iTunes for potential use on family iPods/iPad when traveling.

That pretty much describes me. I grab them while I can. They may spend the rest of their life eating hard drive space. Or perhaps I'll find a good use for them eventually. For now I'm just grabbing them while I can.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I have never used a digital copy. I trash them.

I also never watch the included DVD. Those I give away, and then put the remaining Blu-ray in a single case, saving the multiple for when I need one.

Maybe this is because I never watch a movie on an airplane or in an airport. I (gulp) bring a book and read!

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson

I have never used a digital copy. I trash them.

I also never watch the included DVD. Those I give away, and then put the remaining Blu-ray in a single case, saving the multiple for when I need one.

Maybe this is because I never watch a movie on an airplane or in an airport. I (gulp) bring a book and read!

Hey Rick you can send them to me I'll take them off your hands. ;)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I do not use them. I have no desire to watch a movie on a tiny screen. When I travel, I listen to my iPod and read.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
As one of many folks here who moved to HD to enjoy a large, high quality image, I can't get excited about these. I keep the expiration dates in my calendar and download them before the window closes, but have to date never watched any of them. The only action Digital copies have seen in my household are a couple of family titles that my 7-year-old daughter watches on her iPod Nano.

I do like that Warner have been putting the digital copies on the DVD disc in some sets. This means you don't have a disc that's solely dedicated to the digital copy and becomes redundant when the code expires; there's nothing lamer than a disc in the case that has expired and is now useless.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I have a stupid question: Why do these have expiration dates in the first place? Yeah, I know it's "because they can". But what's the stated rationalization? Or do they bother giving one?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I use them all the time. If you guys are just throwing em away pm me before you do please! I'll pay shipping if you'll save up a few at a time and funnel em off to me. We also have a trade thread buried in one of the forums here but it doesn't get much action due to the need to have the transfer disks...

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Ron, I think you need a fourth option in the poll:

d. Have used occasionally, but really can't be bothered anymore.

Seriously though, I have a computer with a dead hard drive with several digital copies on it. I'm going to have to try and get it "ghosted" in order toaccess some of them, but Disney has recently taken to putting films with digital copy on a streaming site as well, which you can access through Disney Movie Rewards. Some of my digital copies are accessible in this manner. Anyone tried this yet?

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
I also use them all the time and am disappointed when BD's I have purchased didn't have them.

Due to my work schedule and commute sometimes it is the only way I can watch a movie.

I too would be happy to take any and all off of the hands of anyone who are just throwing them away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks