how many of you got a broken rptv after less than 3 years of use?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Jul 9, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

who got a broken tv after

2. Jeff Leeds

Jeff Leeds Stunt Coordinator

I had a problem with my Hitachi, got my dealer to give me another TV. I think if you do buy a refurb I'd strongly suggest an extended warrenty, just for the house call alone and worse yet a haul away you want that extra piece of mind at least for 5 years.

3. felix_suwarno

looks like there arent many people with broken rptv. so, is it still advisable to spend more dough for a 3 or 5 years extended warranty?

4. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Felix, Anda akan ada berapa lama lagi tinggal di US? RPTV saya sudah 5 tahun dan (thank God) belum rusak.

I never played games nor watch TV though, I only watched LD, DVD and S-VHS approx 8 hours a week. I don't know whether that helps the longevity.

Oh and I also ISF calibrated it.

5. Bill_Mis

Bill_Mis Stunt Coordinator

I have the new Pioneer SD-533HD5 high def set and it broke after three months! Three repairs later I am getting the whole set replaced.

6. felix_suwarno

dave susilo

i dont watch tv either. i only use the tv for dvd and sometimes ( rarely ) for playing games. i am not going back to indonesia. i am going to find a job in computer graphics industry, or perhaps videogame industry in california.

i am still trying to save some money to get a big ( at least 47 inch ) tv. my current one is 20 inch!!! too god damn small. i think it would be better to start some research from now.

for now, i just want to know which brand has the better reputation on build quality.

let me make a list of my equipments that broke before a year of use :

olympus d460 ( digital cam ), about a year, unfixable since the price i had to pay is about 40 percent of the price i paid, and i didnt want to wait a month for them to fix it.

denon avr1802, 3 months of use. been waiting since january for them to really fix it.

cambridge soundworks fps2000, 4 months of use. paid 40 bucks to fix it, i then sold it.

playstation2, 14 months of use. i gave it a blowjob with a can of pressurized air from radioshack, and it started to read game cd again. but still...

gamecube, 2 weeks of use. still under warranty, nintendo took only 5 days to fix it. not a big deal at all.

i cant imagine if a big ass tv were broken. how am i supposed to fix it??? i dont have a big car to bring them to the shop nor i expect the shop to send somebody to fix it ( i purchase things mostly online ).

7. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

My father's 43" Sony went 7 years before the power regulators burnt out. It cost about $300 to fix it and it now looks fine. My 53" Sony had to have one board replaced under warranty when I first bought it, otherwise not a problem for 3 years.

I don't think there's any more reliability issues than with tube TV's.

By the way....you generally do get onsite service with projection TV's. If you live in a very rural area then it might be an issue, otherwise that is the norm.