How many of you don't watch any broadcast TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew W, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Time Warner could never get me a HD box and all of the digital stations looked like crap on my 57" RPTV. I finally had them take it all away back in Feb.
    Now we only watch DVDs and haven't missed broadcast programming at all. Has anyone else give up on broadcast TV?

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

We very rarely watch broadcast TV. We'll put the evening news on on occasion, or if there's a special or concert on, but that's about it. If we watch an hour a month of broadcast or cable TV we're above our average.

99% of the time, if the TV is turned on, it's to watch a DVD.

I wonder if we'd watch more if we had HDTV capability. Maybe a little, but garbage programming in high def is still garbage.

KJP

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I watch about 3 shows if I'm not doing something else. They are The Screen Savers, Call For Help and The Simpsons. I'll also watch The Science Channel and TLC when they have programs about space on.

4. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I do not have cable, directv, satellite or any variation of broadcast television. I gave it up when I moved to my new place in August.

5. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

I hardly ever watch broadcast TV. Occasionally I'll catch the odd show, but it is almost exclusively DVDs for me.

Matt

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I watch, on average, 2 hours of broadcast TV a month.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Time Warner's hi def stuff in austin sucks anyways, you aren't missing much. They only have HBO and showtime and its flakey at best.

But I have no problems with their regular stations, then again I'm not expecting much either. I watch a TON of tv.

8. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

I'd love to say I don't, but I watch a few hours a month.
    ER, Will & Grace, Friends (Thurs nights)
    The other nights it's DVDs or my beloved Xbox. [​IMG]

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I gave up on cable a LONNNNG time ago- I had it a few years ago just because an idiot roommate wanted it, and I had it free for awhile last year since the person who used to live in the apartment I moved into forgot to cancel it. My main complaint about cable today is the onscreen logos, but even before that the reception was never fully acceptable (several of the channels I got last year were not carried in stereo by the local company, which I find unacceptable) and I saw no point in paying for channels which were otherwise just like regular TV in terms of what they showed and commercial breaks (why pay for something when it's interrupted by commercials?) My roommate had HBO, which I never watched since all the movies were in pan and scan. It seems like over the last 10 years people have considered cable a 'necessity', but I don't get why anyone would pay for it when I wouldn't even watch it for free. (Maybe if MTV still played MUSIC, it'd be worth having!)
    I've considered broadcast TV pretty much dead since CBS and ABC caved in early '98 and put their logos on the screen all the time. I simply cannot watch anything with those damn things on the screen. They just detract too much from the show and kill any sort of mood the show may try to establish- I'm very disappointed that more viewers haven't complained (if they got at least as many as they seem to about "the black bars" on DVDs, they might think twice) and that the show producers don't raise a fuss about it (I do know that Matt Groening did a little on The Simpsons, but he still does that show with the logo, plus he did Futurama for them too.) I wanted to work in TV for awhile; if I were running the board and told to put a logo on the screen and keep it there, I would walk right off the job!
    HDTV is worthless as far as I'm concerned if it still has the logos on it- why bother with a better picture if you still have to put up with that???
    The only thing on in my area that's really watchable now is PBS, which is logo-free, but the reception isn't very good- I still email the station occasionally though to thank them for not showing an onscreen logo. The UPN station in Sacramento just started showing a logo during the non-network shows a few months ago. The news is just too insulting to bother with most of the time- the last time I watched more than 5 minutes of TV was during the 9/11 coverage.

10. Stacie

Stacie Stunt Coordinator

I watch a few shows: Friends, ER, The West Wing, Frasier, Gilmore Girls, Enterprise, Antiques Roadshow (on occasion). I TiVO them all. Can't bear to watch TV without it, now.

A couple of friends of mine who recently bought a new house no longer have any broadcast TV. They dropped cable when they moved (also switched from cable modem to DSL). They claim not to miss it (and I don't think they do, very much), but they do occasionally ask us to TiVO and tape something for them.

11. Trevor Harveaux

Trevor Harveaux Stunt Coordinator

Nope, I haven't watched tv for about 6-7 months. I do miss Futurama, but it's never on anyways.

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I have a TiVo, so I just season pass what I want and watch the recordings when I'm bored, I never channel surf anymore, rarely watch anything live. Often I don't have the attention span to watch a DVD so a half hour or hour show fits the bill.

13. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    Hmm, I always thought broadcast TV referred to over-the-air TV received via antennae.

My wife and I do not have cable. The simple reason is that we don't have time for to watch tv! When we have spare time we'd rather watch a movie. THe only shows I watch are Ed and Smallville. If I had cable or satellite I would probably watch a lot of discovery and TLC (as I did when I was in college and cable was "free")

It does seem as though many people think cable or satellite is a necessity. I sometimes wonder how many people don't know that you can get stations over the air?

Greg

14. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The only "network" programs I watch are sports -- NFL, college football, etc. I gave up on the prime time shows a few years ago (except I will occasionally watch NYPD Blue in HD). My HDTV tuner is not getting much use right now. It's just waiting for the Super Bowl.

15. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

I don't have TV -- meaning no cable/dish/antenna or NTSC tuner for that matter. I only can and do watch DVDs.
    Of course I do visit my TVholic friends once in a while to watch stuff like Six Feet Under & Sex and the City, but by not having TV I have a lot more time for movies.
    Ted

16. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

I only watch a couple shows on broadcast TV:
    24 (Fox) and the occasional Nightline (ABC)

The only other TV show I want to watch is Sopranos, but alas, no HBO...

Sitcoms are so formulaic to me, local news is toooo local...

17. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Place me in the group as well. I watch the local news and national news here and there. Sometimes I'll come across a documentary on DISC or TLC. I also like some of the home improvement shows. Overall I'd say I watch TV maybe 1 hour a day. I am usually playing PS2, watching a movie or extras or working on my house.

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, I don't have cable any longer (largely for the reasons Jesse Skeen mentioned). Most of my OTA viewing is dedicated to PBS. I have no desire for either cable or DBS.

19. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I watch SPORTS. And the worst part is that the 76ers and Flyers are OWNED by the cable company so you can't get their home games on a dish.

I also watch HBO original series and IFC. Other than that, very seldom.

20. Tom Fynan

Tom Fynan Stunt Coordinator

I stopped watching broadcast televison sometime in 1979, when I was in college and didn't own a TV set for 3 years. I learned to use music as my primary home entertainment - my stereo was like other people's TV.

Before I owned a DVD player, my TV would not be turned on for months at a time, and then only to watch the Weather Channel. Now it's turned on only to watch DVDs.

I don't think I've missed very much. The random bits and pieces of TV programs that I have seen over the years confirm my impression that most of it is junk. I get my news from the radio and newspaper, and my entertainment from CDs and DVDs.

Tom Fynan