What's new

How many of you DONT get mad when a SE follows up a less featured first release? (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Now, I'm not talking about re-releasing a DVD 4+ years after its original release (ala Amadeus and True Romance), I'm talking about what Columbia and Buena Vista have been doing with Black Hawk Down, Pearl Harbor, Panic Room, and probably Spider-Man.

It seems like I keep seeing more and more people that are complaining about re-releases of super-special editions a couple months later after a non-SE.

Am I in the minority here that thinks a movie can stand on its own? If a movie needs 4 discs worth of supplements in order for me to justify buying it, then it must not be all that special of a movie to begin with. I mean, I have around 320 DVDs, and I watch less than 25% of my supplements, and I know MANY of you can put my collection to shame. Do you guys watch EVERY supplement on all your DVDs, and if so, do you watch them more than once?

I mean, for christsake, Im not against supplements, and I like knowing they exist, but its not the be-all-end-all of home theater. These supplements are just that, supplements. Unless a movie has an original DVD release that improves upon the A/V quality with a re-release, is it really necessary to get upset just because they're going to re-release a movie 4 months later with some extra supplements?

Not only that, some people are chastsizing these studios talking about not buying these discs when theyre at least letting us know that another release is on the way. Would you people rather the studios release a movie, and then the day after it comes out announce the SE? Or worse yet, would you prefer rental pricing? I think the non-SE first, with an SE to come later announcement is a blessing, and we should be thankful, not angry at the studios for it.

Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to see if theres anyone left that agrees with me.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
There is a large contingent on this forum who seem to buy DVDs solely for the supplements. Countless times I've read "I would have bought it if it had some extras". This line of thinking comes not from fans of film, but from fanatics of the collecting hobby. To each their own, but it boggles my mind.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Doesn't bother me one bit - as long as the video & audio on the initial release is top-notch. We all have the choice to buy or not buy every re-release that comes out and, since we have a history now, we know the studios WILL re-release top-sellers all the time. Choose your purchases wisely and there will be very few reasons to complain.

BTW, the initial SPIDER-MAN release is a Special Edition.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Well said Mike. I totally agree.

I buy DVDs for the enhanced picture and sound quality. Extras are just icing on the cake.

The only time I run into a problem is when the movie is extremely important to me. For example, I'm not sure which Panic Room to buy. If reviews were available now, and the quality of the 2-disc version was similar to the Superbit, I would wait and buy the 2-disc version.

As long as studios make consumers aware that they are going to release multiple versions, everything should be OK.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The cases you mention don't bother me because in each one, we know an SE would follow eventually. The irritating examples are things like the original release of "Armageddon"; they didn't announce the SE until a few days after the bare-bones one hits the street.

People don't like to feel used, and I think that's what occurs with these cases, and understandably so. If you buy a DVD and then find out a superior one will come out four months later, you'd be cheesed. But of course, a lot of people gripe about the many-years-later reissues as well, and THAT I don't get. Standards are different now than they were in 1997, so it's great that studios will revisit their product after a while...

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Do I get mad? No - As long as they announce their intentions of an upcoming SE before the bare-bones release.
(what is there for people to complain about here?)
Will I hold out for the SE when this happens? YES - I'm a film buff and if I like a film enough to buy it and I have a choice then I want the Supplements.
Will I buy a Bare-bones release of a NEW film? YES - as long as there is no upcoming SE planned.
Do I watch all of the Supplements? Usually NO - I only watch supplements that interest me such as a well made Documentary, Commentaries by the Director, etc. I usually don't bother with the HBO Fluff pieces, Commentaries by the Producer's Secretary, TV spots, etc. :)
Obviously we're speaking only of NEW Releases here as there are plenty of older catalog films (Classic & Obscure) that I'm very happy with even though they are "Bare-bones".

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I'm into DVD for the movie itself and it's presentation. Extras are just icing. I will never hold off on buying an initial "movie only" release because an SE is somewhere down the pipeline. Only if the movie is in my top 5% fave films, will I repurchase it for extras. For example, I'll be getting Panic Room Superbit in Sept., and won't lose a wink of sleep knowing there may be an SE coming next year. However, I will buy the SE of my fave war flick Black Hawk Down when it materializes, and give the original release to my brother. The only thing that hurts a little would be the inclusion of a DTS track, but even that doesn't warrant a double purchase.

StephanieC

Stunt Coordinator
I don't, I think it gives the consumer more buying options and nobody is making you buy more than 1 copy :) And if you like the movie enough, I don't think it's too tragic to upgrade if you want.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
So it seems almost all of you here agree with me. As long as the studio announces their plans for a better version down the road, you dont feel gipped...
...however, check out the Spider-Man thread here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=82581
Theres tons of people mad as hell about Columbias wording that the November release will be an introductory release, which indicates a better version is on its way.
I guess theres just two different schools of thought here...some who love so many supplements that a 2 disc SE isnt enough, and they want more before they'll buy a movie.

Christopher LM

Auditioning
I put more stock into a movies video and audio presentation than the special edition supplements. Therefore I don't mind when a Buena Vista releases dual versions of "Pearl Harbor" as long as the audio and video are the same.

However...What bothers me are the Sony-columbia tristar SuperBits that tout the best Audio and Video quality possible. If they released a regular version with extras and the superbits at the same time, I wouldn't mind...but by releasing superbits after the regular, its like a slap in the face by saying the original was not the best audio and video they could have provided.

Good example - Crouching Tiger Superbit was released only a couple months after the standard version. I can understand a need for a superbit for Desperado, and to some extent Airforce One, Fifth Element because Desperado was a year one DVD release while Airforce One and Fifth Element were like late year two or early year three DVDs (years meaning how old DVD as a technology was).

Pop Quiz - What movies were among the very first DVD releases? For instance...Jumanji and In the Line of Fire were the very first Sony DVD's. The Rock and Tombstone were among Disney's DVDs...anyone remeber others?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Some other early DVDs were "GoldenEye" (MGM), "Twister" and "Contact" (both WB).

As for the multiple release issue, I've got no problem with it as long as the studio announces them at the same time. It's when they attempt to milk me that I become bothered.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Interview with the Vampire, Amadeus, Goodfellas, Sleepers, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, Last Action Hero, Awakenings, theres tons of them. And I actually think Fifth Element was a year one or at the latest year two. I definitely remember seeing this on DVD in 98.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I've upgraded quite a few dvd's lately. There are plenty that I got in 98 that I would like upgraded like Robin Hood.
I only upgrade though if it is a new transfer or a DTS track added if it is a bare-bones to bare-bones upgrade. I will upgrade bare-bones to a special edition. I love movies so I do love the extras because you get to learn as much as you can about that particular movie. What kind of film buff wouldn't want that? I do admit that I probably only watch the supplements once, unless they are outtakes or deleted scenes. Those get more viewings.

I don't like getting shafted by studios though. I hate hearing that a new edition is coming right after I purchased the now sub-par edition. I do like how they are handling releases like Lord of the Rings. We know which releases are coming. Same with Pearl Harbor. They told us that a director's cut was coming when the released the original.

My gripe with Superbit is that I wish they all were Superbit Deluxe editions. I want the great video and audio but hate to miss out on some good extras.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I have a general rule. If a movie is released that has no extra features and it is not readily available for rent, then it is a no purchase. The only time that multiple release bother me, is when they come close together with no advance warning.
I buy DVDs for two reasons.
1. I enjoy the movie and will want to watch it again.
2. The extra content.
In general I can't watch a movie and a bunch of extras in a 2-3 day rental window. I would much prefer to own the disc, so that I can come back to it at a later date and go over the suplements. If there's nothing else on the disc, I view it as a rental only, except when it's not readily available, like many of the classic films that I own. My library of approximately 350 discs is around 70% classic films.
I take offense to this. I'm a huge fan of film and that's why I like plenty of extras. I absolutely love watching a film with a commentary track, and often I find it as enjoyable if not more enjoyable than the movie itself. The same goes for well done documentaries. To say that a person, who enjoys extras is a fanatic collector that doesn't even like movies is absolutely absurd. I could turn that comment around on you, but I don't feel that it is necessary.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I only get upset if I didn't know it was coming. I try to keep all of my acquaintances aware that SEs are coming of DVD releases.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
It doesn't make me mad. Sure, it's a bit annoying if a better version comes out of a DVD that I already own, but it doesn't make me mad. Usually, I'm actually happy that there's something better available. I know I can sell off my original version if I want to, to make up for some of the cost of buying the new version.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
They announced a Harry Potter: Version Two the same day the DVD hits store. Well, it doesn't bother me since i never successful watched the film without sleeping.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Generally I don't get upset for the following scenarios:

1. The SE version is announced at or near the same time as the regular version, thus giving me the foreknowledge of being able to choose to purchase immediately or wait (i.e. LoTR, Black Hawk Down, etc.).

2. The SE version is a year or more after the regular version, and is a substantial improvement in extras, and potentially better audio/video (like DTS or a new HD downconversion from a pristine print).

I would only get upset I think if they sold a barebones DVD and then a month or two later, with no word or warning, a new SE DVD came out.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The studios have found a great way to keep consumers purchasing their movies -- release them in piece-meal fashion. For those that are anxious to get the movie right away, there is the bare-bones edition. Then a few months later they get you to purchase it again, as a Special Edition.

The studios have figured out that many people have this buying pattern. Since the DVD won't wear out like a VHS tape this might be the only way studios get consumers to re-buy a particular title.

Users who are viewing this thread