What's new

How many of you are using a PB2+ in a smallish size room? (1 Viewer)

Anthony Cler

Stunt Coordinator
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a new SVS sub and am leaning pretty heavily towards the PB2+ (or is it PB12+/2?). My room is about 2500 cubic feet and is well sealed. I'm guessing that a 20-39PC+ would be enough most of the time, but I kind of want the extra elbow room if you will.

When I had my 16-46PC+, I rarely listened above -20db and would occassionally push it close to -10db but sensed it was nearing it's limit at that point. I kind of figure if I have the PB2+, that I might listen at -10db more often and maybe even experiment with higher levels.

Am I crazy? Is this too much sub for my room?

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Before pulling the trigger, you might PM either Edward J M or Robb Roy ... They both have changed from the "Plus" to the "Ultra" driver, and noted superior sound quality from it.

A 2500^3 foot room should EASILY be handled by a single PC-Ultra ... and that *may* be a better choice for you.

Anthony Cler

Stunt Coordinator
Craig, thanks for the tip. I originally was considering the PC-Ultra also and haven't ruled it out yet, but I also know that I liked the sound of my 16-46PC+ and just want more output. I also like the idea of twin drivers. At first, I felt the PB2+ would be serious overkill, but then you see some of these folks with twin B4+'s or IFB subs. So I'm still not sure. One thing is for sure, I don't have unlimited funds :)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
From about 18 Hz and up, the PC-Ultra should be about 4 dB higher in output than your 16-46 + was ... and it will also only be about 3-4 dB less than the PB2+ ... A pretty good mix of higher output AND sound quality.

We had a pair of the 16-46 PC+ here, and while they went DEEEEEEEP ... they were not SPL kings...

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a new SVS sub and am leaning pretty heavily towards the PB2+ (or is it PB12+/2?). My room is about 2500 cubic feet and is well sealed. I'm guessing that a 20-39PC+ would be enough most of the time, but I kind of want the extra elbow room if you will.>When I had my 16-46PC+, I rarely listened above -20db and would occassionally push it close to -10db but sensed it was nearing it's limit at that point. I kind of figure if I have the PB2+, that I might listen at -10db more often and maybe even experiment with higher level

Anthony Cler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Tom!

I'm actually planning to use a BFD, so I think the PB12Plus/2 will be the one. My driveway should be poured no later than next Tuesday (weather permiting), so it's probably safe to go ahead with the order now. I just want to make sure I make it as easy on myself as possible :D

Man that seemed like such a tough decision, but now I feel completely satisfied with it. I can't wait to get the room finished!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Man that seemed like such a tough decision, but now I feel completely satisfied with it. I can't wait to get the room finish!
__________________________________________________ _

Might have been tough but I think you really nailed it Anthony. I have been running my PB12-Ultra/2 in the 20Hz tune for the last week or so in a open 2880^ and have been very impressed.

Headroom will serve you well.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Anthony...

I have the PB2 Plus in an 1800 cubic foot room. I had a 20-39 PC (one of the originals) before the PB2.

The difference is night and day and the sound is downright scary! Elbow room...LOL..you will have plenty.

The smaller the room, the bigger the boom:)

Good Luck

Jeremy

DonnyD

Screenwriter

WOW... somebody wants one of these SVS monsters bad enough to pour a driveway just to get it in their house!!! LOL

Let me add, that I too went from a 20-39pc to a PB2+. There's certainly lots of leg left to that thing regardless of the assault it just put on my HT room.........

You'll love your new driveway more when you use it to get this monster into the house!

Anthony Cler

Stunt Coordinator
"WOW... somebody wants one of these SVS monsters bad enough to pour a driveway just to get it in their house!!! LOL"

Yeah, actually it's been tough to wait this long. I purchased most of my other gear(for the new house)months ago. The only thing that stopped me from ordering the sub earlier was the thought of having to move the beast more than once :S

"I have the PB2 Plus in an 1800 cubic foot room. I had a 20-39 PC (one of the originals) before the PB2.

The difference is night and day and the sound is downright scary!"

Good, I want to be scared :D

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Nothing wrong with getting a subwoofer that's slightly overkill...but really a bit daft to get one that's stupidly overkill (and paying for it) then only using 20% of it's performance.

Not that you should get a subwoofer from a much lower range...but you get my point.

I think a PB2+ is way overkill for that room...perhaps PB2 ISD or PC-Ultra. In fact a PC Plus should be fine, and you could always add another later on- if you do buy 16 or 20hz PC Plus's - in stock tune- will have far deeper bass than a single PB2+ instead of plugging any ports at all.

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
Where does this come from? Isn't it 117dB? Check this. If you are referring to those 10dB hot dvd's, then it's ok. But you know, no one will watch those at reference, try for example Minority Report or SW:AOTC...you just can't. -10dB is more than enough.

Anthony Cler

Stunt Coordinator
"Nothing wrong with getting a subwoofer that's slightly overkill...but really a bit daft to get one that's stupidly overkill (and paying for it) then only using 20% of it's performance."

I kind of felt the same way before and that's part of the reason I had such a hard time making a decision. I'm certain I'll be using alot more than 20% of it's potential though.

"I think a PB2+ is way overkill for that room...perhaps PB2 ISD or PC-Ultra. In fact a PC Plus should be fine, and you could always add another later on- if you do buy 16 or 20hz PC Plus's - in stock tune- will have far deeper bass than a single PB2+ instead of plugging any ports at all."

I don't know, I did own a PC+ before (16-46) and I know there were times when I was pushing it close (if not past) it's limits. I definetely noticed compression setting in on more than one occassion. I feel like it's a better financial decision to go with the PB2+ now than to add on a second PC+ later. Now if I already owned a PC+, it would probably make sense to stick with it and maybe add on a second one later if needed, but I'm starting from scratch here.

Also, while the PB2-ISD is probably more than enough, I'd rather have the Plus drivers and larger ports.

I might also add that my room is completely Isolated from the rest of the house. I did the "room within a room" thing, double sheetrock, etc, etc...

I know that most of the time, the PB2-Plus will practically be idle, but for those occasions when I want to go crazy, it will go as far as I dare take it ;)

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
There should be quite a difference of maximum possible output between your 16hz PC Plus and the 20hz PC Ultra. Something to think about.

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Also remember that the single driver PB12/Ultra is coming out sometime this year. Like the PC-Ultra, it's native tune will be 20hz, which is 5 hz lower than the PB12+/2 (which I have and is a monster). This means you would have to plug a port in the Plus to get the same 20hz tune, losing output in the process.

Bottom line:

Normal to medium loud spl levels- single driver Ultra. High spl levels- twin driver Plus or Ultra.

Anthony Cler

Stunt Coordinator
"Bottom line:

Normal to medium loud spl levels- single driver Ultra. High spl levels- twin driver Plus or Ultra. "

You're right! I guess I figured that I've spent a fair amount of money building a pretty nice room and I want my system to be capable of True reference levels, even if it will only be used occasionally. The PB2+ is at the upper limit of what I'm willing to spend, so the PB2-Ultra is definetly not an option.

Thanks to everyone for their input! My concrete guys are forming up the driveway today and will pour it on Monday. So now I just need to go place my order for one of these bad boys.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
The PB2+ is at the upper limit of what I'm willing to spend, so the PB2-Ultra is definetly not an option.

Hey you took it to the limit($$)wise and the PB12-Plus/2 will certainly take you there in your size room.

>>>My concrete guys are forming up the driveway today and will pour it on Monday.

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
I just had to revive this thread... it got my blood flowing. I'm anxious to hear how many of you guys still have your PB12-plus/2's and if you are still happy with them.

Who was that talking about overkill... I just order TWO PB12-plus/2's for my completely sealed 1800 cubic foot home theater room. :D :D :D

I'm wondering with two if I should tune them to 16hz or go for 20hz?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
After having mine for 2 years I finally did further testing with the 16hz tune after never even thinking about using it since I had bottomed one 20-39PC+ and upgraded. Didn't think I'd have the headroom and I had good response to 17hz anyway at 20hz. My tastes in output have mellowed a touch and the 16hz tune seems to be a touch lower in SPL but gained articulation so that's where it's tuned. I wish I tried it sooner. You should have no problems tuning to 16hz in that room and having to ever worry about headroom IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks