How many of us expect to know the age which we die?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thik Nongyow, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

A morbid question, so do not reply if it disturbs you. It is a question we mortals have to think of.

Even though most of us are young and healthy, had you ever thought what age you expect to live before you die? This question came to my mind when I learned that my grandmother (who is in her early eighties) is in tired state, and there is fear that she may die this year. My mother told me that if her mother dies, we will have to travel to Southern California for her funeral as we live in the East Coast. Even though I have relatives who died in my lifetime, I never had a personal connection with them unlike my grandmother. It shows that life has its limits and we do not always know the time when we will pass away.

I had been thinking about the question and I had expected that I will live to my seventies or eighties before I expire. Since most deaths are from natural causes, I may die from a disease, a cancer, or die in my sleep. If I want to die from natural causes, it would from sleeping. I really could not imagine the pain and agony of dying from a disease or cancer that most people will suffer before they die. I will say no more for now.

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

It could happen anytime, anywhere, so there is no purpose to living in fear of it. I myself don't sit and think on what I believe my life expectancy will be. That just leads to regret, because you start thinking that if you don't live to X number of years, you won't feel like you had a fulfilling life. I would rather spend my time alive trying to be as happy as possible and knowing that when the moment comes, I won't feel like I'm leaving anything. Of course, noone knows what death is like so who knows what the hell they'll feel or think when the time comes?

Bruce

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I've always thought that if I made it to 50 I'd be happy. But for all I know I could live to see 100. Though it's not something I dwell on because like Bruce said, it will just lead to regret.

I don't understand some people's desire to live long lives. Half a century of work, routine and troubles is more then plenty for this cat.

4. Christoph

Christoph Extra

I figure if I make it to 70 I'll be very surprised. When you phrase it in terms of knowing the age which we die, that implies to me an active choice in ending it--which, after having seen people go after a long battle with cancer, isn't a bad thing.

My grandfather will be 87 next month. He's been saying that he feels like it's his time for about five years now, but he's still healthy, and able to take care of himself. The thing that bums him out is having outlived so many of his friends and relatives, particularly my mother and grandmother.

Thik, I don't know your situation and the relationship you have with your grandmother--but have you thought about going to visit your her now?

5. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

If genetics have anything to do with it, I'll probably live into my nineties at least. Both of my grandfathers are still alive and around 90.

6. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Do right by your grandma, and for anyone else. Avoid the guilts.

Death is what makes life worth living and it is absolutely terrifying.

There is a lot to think about in this topic. Why are we (You) here? What is the meaning of life?

I hope you have the time and space to give some thought to these things before (if) life becomes too busy.

Dan

7. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Why sit around and wonder when your time is going to come when in a matter of 5 minutes you'll know the exact day and year?
    Please, take the Deathtest. [​IMG]

8. Bruce Hedtke

9. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

10. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I have two great grandmothers, One on each side, that were both born in 1906 and are still alive and well today. So I know that I have a little longevity in my family. that being said, there is a world of different between me and my grandmothers. There are so many things that we have to live with now a days that they never had to live with. 15 years from now i'll probably be dead from come kind of lethal radiation given off from all my computers and stereo equipment.

With all the new technology, bio-engineered foods, etc... whose to say a decade or so down the road they are going to find out that something we've all been doing has lethal side effects. Maybe thay fake sugar stuff they put in diet-cola is actually bad for you... who knows.

11. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

12. Art Martinez

Art Martinez Stunt Coordinator

WOW, 91 years old for me. I don't know if that is good or bad. The Gov. might take out a hit on me for bringing down social security single handed. (If there is even such a thing in 2069.)[​IMG]

13. Bruce Hedtke

14. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

15. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Death test gives me a full 78 years, almost to the day.
    I have a 5% chance of dying from auto fellatio. Hmmm. If the little general is still able to salute at 78, I'll be happy.
    [​IMG]

16. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Quote from Alexi Sayle, British comedian.
    "Death is like watching Dancing With Wolves, only much, much longer"
    [​IMG]

17. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Hopefully Ill be dead before Im 80

18. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Deathtest clocks me at 80. I don't know that I want to live that long. Maybe I should take up smoking, or playing in traffic! [​IMG]