How many of us actually watch *ALL* the extras a DVD has to offer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ruiz, Feb 24, 2002.

1. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

Hi Everyone,

Just as the title suggests, how many of us, actually sit there and watch *EVERY SINGLE EXTRA* that a DVD has to offer?

The reason why I'm asking this, is because *MOST* people won't buy a DVD unless it's jam-packed with extras, YET, they don't watch the extras!!! ??? I don't get it!

What I did, was I watched all my DVDs 1 time through in alphabetical order, then, starting with the letter "A" I went back, and I watch every extra that was on every DVD, including picture galleries, and commentaries. I'm still not done doing this...I am barely on "B" and my next title will be "Blast From The Past".

There are some DVDs with more extras than you can possibly count. For example...American Pie 2, has 4 ENTIRE commentaries, so I had to watch the movie 4 times with each different commentary. The only reason I'm doing this, is because we all spent SO much money on DVDs, but I would never watch the extras, and that's the main reason that DVDs are so expensive. If they were bare-bone DVDs, they would be $10 dollars less, each.

So, how many of us are taking advantage of these special features?

2. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

I generally watch all the features. On a good saturday I will sit down with one or two movies and go through them feature by feature. Still have alot of Saturdays to go though. [​IMG]

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I never read cast/crew bios or filmographies.

4. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Same here. Although with commentaries, I generally just listen to a few minutes of it to make sure it's there. If it's a good one, I'll listen to it in full at another date when there's time. I also skim through the photo and sketch galleries briefly if there is way too many (there usually are). I like extras...gives me more bang for the buck.

5. Rob Dwyer

Rob Dwyer Stunt Coordinator

Personally, I buy a DVD because I like the movie...

However, It may just be a sick perversion of mine, but IF there are special features, I will watch/listen to all of them. The only thing that I don't read are filmographies, but if they're there, I'll watch them at least once.

...which is probably why I hat The Scorpion King Advertizement dis...er... The Mummy Returns, since the "special features" were a complete joke.

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I rarely get around to extras. Frankly, I don't care one way or the other about them. That being said, I will buy a SE simply because it *should* mean the film and audio are getting the best treatment available.

Bruce

7. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Well, I usually won't buy a film I'm on the fence about unless it's an SE, and I'm waiting for SE's of films I love, like Goodfellas and Office Space, for example, to come out rather than buy the bare-bones. However, when I do get a stacked DVD I rarely watch all the extras and the ones that I do watch I never watch more than once.

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I only get through all the extras when I'm reviewing, otherwise it's usually movi only, with an extras revisit later, if ever.

9. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

There are some discs that I will watch every extra, like Star Wars:TPM or Lawrence of Arabia and some that I wont watch at all.

10. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I alawys watch the theatrical trailer before I watch the film. I only watch ALL of the extras if it is a film that I have a great deal of interest in.

11. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

I NEVER watch the trailer before watching the movie (on any new stuff, there's about a 90% probability the trailer will "give away" crucial parts of the plot [​IMG]).
    I usually check the special features to see what's there the first time I spin the DVD.
    For commentaries, I almost always view those "on the road" with my portable DVD player (great way to utilize the time traveling on airplanes). The rest, I'll usually go through right after watching the film. I enjoy watching the trailer to see what scenes were marketed that don't even appear in the film itself.
    So I watch almost all the special features eventually, though I currently have a big backlog of commentaries to catch up on.

12. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I watch all the extras on movies I really really love, most of the extras on movies that I think are pretty good and would have interesting material, and practically none of the extras if I am renting the movie and don't like it.

That being said, I have a tough time being interested in stuff like storyboards.

13. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

I almost always watch all the extras expect for isolated scores or excessive text supplements(ala The Abyss). By the sounds of this thread I'm in the minority. Of the 140 discs I own I currently have 11 discs that still have extras to be watched. It may take me months or even years to get through the extras but I do find a way. I only really enjoy the audio commenataries, deleled scences, documentaries/video diaries, and trailors. The fluff stuff I will watch but it is more of a chore than anything else.

My question is if many of us do not watch the extras then why do we demand special editions? Also, why do movie only discs with excellent presentations get bad mouthed?

14. Jamie Boyd

Jamie Boyd Auditioning

Yes, I try to watch all the extras. I only buy movies I really like.

15. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I end up viewing most every extra (even Cast and Crew) given enough time. I don't feel pressured to do so, but since I own the disc, I can visit the extra material at any speed I want. I could never figure out how people could go through mulitple commentaries of the film in one shot. But I get to them on my own time, and as my interest calls for it.

Of course, as a reviewer or a renter, I could see the drive to experience all the extras at once. But for a DVD owner, give it some time.

16. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Generally speaking, I only watch some of the extras, but I have watched ALL of the extras on some of my DVD's. For example, I watched every extra and both film versions one the Brazil: Criterion Collection. Personally, I like the extras better than the movie.

17. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm of the school of thought that it just depends on the movie, and how much I care about it. I go nuts over the extras on any Kevin Smith flick (J&SBSB on the way!), but most of the time I don't watch everything.

18. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

I usually watch all of the extras,but the movie really has to have something of interest in order for me to do so.

Calvin

19. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Well it depends on the movie. If it something like Rushmore or Star Wars : Phantom Menace, I will watch everything. But if it something like Shrek or any other movie that I didn't like, it just passed over and never watch again. But even on movies I do like, I tend to never watch everything on it, due to time.

20. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    I generally watch all the extra's, even goin back nuerous times for random easter egg selections.
    I find that extras increase the enjoyment of favorite films and sometimes are the make or break point in an average film.
    I am not fond of fluff items, but I really enjoy details given about the production by any of the films talented crew (eg, director, production designer, composer, etc.).