How many more times does this have to be said- no more P&S-only DVDs!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse Skeen, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I just read the disgusting news that Columbia is putting out a few catalog titles in pan and scan format, some of which were available in widescreen on laserdisc. This makes no sense! Previously Columbia was putting out everything in BOTH formats, including movies that were not issued in widescreen on laserdisc.

It's funny that "Mo' Money" is one of these titles being put out only in pan and scan, since I was quite amazed when this movie came out on laserdisc in widescreen and eventually caused me to jump to that format. I was frustrated that only "special" movies were put out in widescreen on VHS, but even movies like this got the proper treatment on LD!

2. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

NO OAR = NO Sale

I don't care which movie it is, how cheap the disc is or what extras it has on it, if it is not in OAR I will not buy or rent it!

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I am in agreement with you. Nothing you can do can make me settle for less than the Original Aspect Ratio.

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Agreed. As an early adopter with a huge collection of DVDs, I feel this is a terrible insult to the DVD-buying community.

How many DVDs does the casual viewer (J6P) buy? How many does the HT fanatic buy? From a purely economic standpoint, who would you rather cater to?

5. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Judging by the people in this forum, I'd say there are quite a few of us that are good for 4 or 5 of those millions each [​IMG]

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

8. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    But back to the original argument - Columbia did used to release DVD's (at least those with content of less than two hours) in dual format. THERE JUST DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ANY LOGIC AT ALL IN RELEASING SUCH SHORT TITLES, ESPECIALLY THOSE WITH LITTLE OR NO SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIAL, IN P&S ONLY, thereby utilizing less than half of the disc capacity and very clearly targeting only J6P. NO LOGIC AT ALL!!! Why not satisfy EVERYONE for I assume reasonable added expense and put out all such titles in both formats using dual layers or even flippers, but thereby obviously maximizing sales potential. Anyone from Columbia or Warner reading this? Dare you reply?

9. Donald W

Donald W Stunt Coordinator

this is makes me sick that their doing this still...but there are still people like my mom who says "it doesn't fill my TV..I want to see it fill my TV I could care less if it's not the way it was filmed...see it in the theater if you want to see the Widescreen version...this is a TV it needs to fill the TV!" there are even people out there who want two versions of the DVD-The SE version and them a film only with no SE stuff on the disc only to confuss people more and then make it harder to get SE discs....

10. Rain

Rain Producer

The best way to convince a J6P of the Benefits of widescreen is to show them a direct comparison. Assuming you have both versions, pick a scene that suffers particularly badly in P&S. Show the widescreen version first, then immediately afterwards show the P&S. I used the "I Remember It Well" number from Gigi and the final shootout in the hotel room in True Romance to illustrate this point to a friend. Before I did this, she said "Does it really make that much difference." Afterward, she said of the P&S versions "That looks horrible--it's just gross."

Anyway, that's my method.

By the way, please note the new link in my sig and add your name to the petition if you are able.

Thank you.

11. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I predict that we are going to keep saying this, and the studios are going to keep releasing product in pan and scan only. I'm sick of it.

I WILL NOT buy any film for myself or as a gift unless an OAR version is included.

I WILL communicate the flawed nature of these MAR only DVDs to everyone I can possibly speak to.

MAR-only DVDs will cause studios to lose revenue opportunities. Is this so hard for them to get their minds around?

12. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

I posted this on another forum having the same type discussion and I'll repeat it here:

The situation would be greatly aided if they would put an orange sticker on the outside of the box of P&S titles that said:

"Warning - this DVD contains only part of the picture".

Deane

13. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

If I wouldn't get my butt kicked out of Best Buy, Circuit City, and the like, I'd love to slap that on all the MARred discs. PSA activity is legal right?

14. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

I have a good way you can show J6P why pan and scan sucks. Next week Cinemax is showing the P&S version of Ben Hur next wednesday at 7:00A.M. Tape it for this person. then get to the charriot race scene and show the p&S first, and then take out the DVD version and show a comparison, they will be changed forever I gaurentee it!

15. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Like I said, HOW MANY MORE TIMES DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SAID?

16. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Stunt Coordinator

You know, I'm getting pretty sick of this entire J6P argument. In the beginning, it was cute! The J6P crowd basically wanted to downgrade the DVD to a psuedo-VHS image. As long as the studios put out either two versions or both versions on the same DVD, I really didn't care. I basically gave the P&S away, or placed a new dic art on the unused side.

Now, it is getting out of hand. Basically what you have here is J6P saying - we want no OAR.

This is bulls**t! The problem we have here is skewed marketing research by some chains and studio home video division heads and marketing heads with no balls.

Everytime I hear someone say - 'I don't like the black bars', I basically tell them - 'then don't rent or buy DVDs'. Go to the movies and shut the f**k up! Nobody is forcing you to rent or buy. You don't need video!!!

Guess what! They bitch and moan - but the still rent or buy!

This would be a different argument if everything is not going OAR. How many people noticed that everything in the Oscars (as far as clips) was letterboxed. More and more regular TV is becoming widescreen. So, J6P, cannot say - well we could say the opposite is true as well. If you don't like P&S - don't rent or buy! This is a dead technology. If people cannot accept that fact - tough!

Live with it!

If the studios would basically say to the chains - fine - we only support OAR - and if you feel you cannot appease your customers with that - then don't carry DVDs. But they won't do this because they know when J6P eventually buys a WS TV, they will want to upgrade to a WS DVD. At that time, the studios will be more than happy to support OAR, I surmise!

How many chains would basically say - ok - we'll call youur bluff! No more DVDs for our customers. Yeah, right!

What I cannot accept, is eliminating OAR entirely. I went along with P&S and WS versions, not this.

I also do not accept using LD WS letterbox versions. This is just a money saving scheme buy the studios. I'm sick and tired of the American public basically getting s**it dumped on them - and expecting to accept it.

Why is this not going on in other regions? Aren't these chains world-wide? Does everyone outside of US have WS TVs. I don't think so!!!

U.S. - stand up and fight!!!!

17. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

[​IMG] [​IMG] I'm sorry but I cannot even begin to express my hatred and disgust with P&S BASTARDIZATION, let alone P&S ONLY, I'm just utterly disgusted!![​IMG]
    Rain: Whats up? I happily signed the petition in your link!