How many (major) operating systems are out there?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Joseph, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am trying to do some research and I don't want to miss any of the major computer o/s's for home use. So far I have

- Win 3.1

- Win 95

- Win 98

- Win NT

- Win ME

- Win 2000

- Win XP

- OS/2

- Unix

- Linux

- Mac O/S

Any others? I won't be considering minor upgrades like Win 3.11 etc, I will just lump those under the major heading, Win 3.1 for example.

Thanks,

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Depends what you mean by 'major'. Me was not a major release, 95 was. The next major release was NT4, then 2000, then XP. 98 and Me were really just 'inbetween' releases as they're all based on the 95 kernal. Actually, I'm not even sure XP qualifies as a 'major' release, but it seems to be doing pretty well.
    But if that's not what you mean, then don't forget 98 Second Edition too [​IMG] Oops, you've also got 95OSR2 (or 95b).
    OS/2 I wouldn't have thought had that much exposure in the home market, but I might be wrong (I'm sure Phil Hamm might have something to say on that! [​IMG])
    'Unix' is a bit too broad. You've got FreeBSD and OpenBSD which like Linux, are derived from 'true' Unix, but they're not exatly the same. You can't go out and buy 'Unix'. There are dozens of commercial versions of Unix out there, including HP, Dynix, AIX, and of course Solaris, none of which are intended for home markets.
    You can break Linux down into all of the various distributions, the major ones being RedHat (commerically popular), Mandrake, Slackware, Debian, Suse. They're all 'slightly' different.
    You've also got BEOS, but that's even more geek-based than Linux.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

DOS?

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I must admit, it seems a bit contrary to list no less than SEVEN! different flavours of Windows (when 3.11, 95, NT and 2000 would do fine) and then go class 'Unix', 'Linux' and 'MacOS' under single headings. There have been at least as many flavours of MacOS over the years, and even right now 9.x and X.x are both being run side by side.

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Plus, Win 3.1 and Win 3.11 really had some substantial differences to them, if I remember correctly.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

CP/M

AmigaDOS

Gem

Ahh the good old days.

7. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    Mac OS-X is very different that the other 9 variations of MacOS...it should be included separately, if your going to do the various windows generations separately.

If you really want to thrill people, tell them about TOS, Atari ST's os system, and EXEC...the os for Mattel Intellevision. I get lots of oohs and ahs with those.:p)

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

What about IBM mainframe operating systems, such as VM and MVS? Also, there are other flavors of Unix, such as AIX and Solaris. And I am sure there are still people out there running DEC's proprietary O/S -- VMS. There are many more examples for mid-range and higher systems (OS/400, anyone?).

EDIT -- Sorry, Neil, but I missed the line stating "for home use". Nevermind.

9. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Solaris is king!

Hail to the king, baby!

and no, I'm not talking about the infernal x86 Solaris... SPARC is the only way to go with Solaris.

Edit:

10. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Another Windows OS that was missed is Windows CE. Many handheld computers used this stripped-down version of windows that requires less RAM and almost no hard drive. I would consider this one to be much more different than any of the Windows 95-era OSs because of the hardware demands placed on making this thing run.

Jason

11. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Don't forget Novell!

Also the VAX OS was popular a long time ago and still used today.

Jeff

12. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

13. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

You missed BeOS

14. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Novell

more UNIX choices ---> IRIX, HPUX, SCO, Tru64Unix

15. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Wasn't 3.11 for workgroups like a pretty big difference from straigh 3.11? I was only a kid at the time - but I thought workgroup edition could be argued as a different OS. ALthough I guess you could argue they were both GUI for dos anyway...

Certainly DOS should be on the initial list. OSX is certainly different than other Mac OS.

-Vince

16. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

Didn't see CP/M. If it we're me I would at least remove Windows 3.1x since they actually ran on top of DOS. (I don't count 386 enhance mode)

17. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

If you're going to count Windows 3.x as an OS, you can't rule out GeoOS and GeoWorks. Personally, I'd call Windows 3.x and GeOS/GeoWorks Operatig Environments, rather than full blown operating systems.

18. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

If you are going to break out all the versions of windows then you should do the same for MacOS. At least Mac 6, OS7, OS8, OS8.5, OS9, OS9.5, OS X. I wouldn't consider Windows 3x an OS. It was just a window manager on top of DOS.

19. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

Sun Solaris is by far the most popular commercial version of Unix..second would be HPUX or AIX. I think all the other commercial "Ux's" are going away. And as Steven said Solaris is the best - its good to be the King!