What's new

How many lumens are needed? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
How many lumens would I need if it is for certain I have a completely pitch black room? I have a decent sound system in my basement waiting for a 100" tv but I dont have the money for any high cost equipment. Let me know. Thanks - Matt

P.S. - What do people think of the option of using an actual school projector with an LCD panel to project movies and games?

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
I am talking about the projectors you put transparencies on. Sorry I do not know what they are called specifically. Matt

Scott Falkler

Second Unit
Ok, I know what you mean now...
I've never had experience with overhead projectors w/ LCD panels, sorry...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Well, this is a bit of a tough question. The short answer would be, you could get away with a fairly dim projector in a pitch black room of 300-350 a.l. Obviously when you introduce ambient light, things change dramatically. The projectors you speak of can work ok. If you have the inputs you need particularly component or even DVI for a HTPC setup then you are in business. What model are you looking to acquire?

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
It really depends on your tastes, along with:

1. Your screen size
2. Your screen gain
3. Your ambient lighting (non in your case)
4. Your screen format and projector format (4:3? 16:9? 2.35:1?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks