What's new

How many HK 320, 520, or x20 owners have auto shutoff probs? (1 Viewer)

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
I've read the recent posts regarding this headache and am wondering how common it is. I'm interested in getting a 320 (eventually), but am concerned about this problem. Once it's installed, with the help of some friends, I won't be able to go tweaking things back there without some help, which isn't always available. And checking the circuitry in the wall's nearly impossibe, too.

So, I'd just like to find out how common this is. Thanks.

Benny G

Second Unit
Well, I have the 310, and it shut off on me once.

Only for me to figure out I had turned the sleep timer on.

Hopefully people with the *20 models can answer your question.

I can highly recommend the HK 310/320, however.

Zack West

Grip
I DID have this problem, but seem to have resolved it. You can read more about it here and in the links in that thread if you have not already. I honestly don't know what to make of it. Manufacturer's defect or other variables "outside the box"? Who knows but I'm a happy owner of a 320 and would recommend it to anyone.

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Thanks for the replies so far.

Zack:

Yep, been through those threads. I guess I'm just trying to find out if this is rare, or actually pretty common.

Anybody else have one, with or without the problem?

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the 320 for several months and have never had it shut off. Great little receiver.

Phil

Dan_C

Agent
Another happy AVR 520 owner with no such problem (although I'm nocking on wood as I'm typing).:D

Eujin

Supporting Actor
I've had my 320 since February and have never had this problem--even when I've left it on all day while I was at work (breaking in new speakers). IMHO, the 320 and 520 are two of the best receivers under $1000.

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
i was the starter of this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=60483
my AVR 320 has now been on for over a week, but i no longer have my video sources routed through it. also, it is plugged into a UPS and has a small fan blowing on it at all times.
my suggestion is this: buy a H/K receiver, and make sure to get an extended warranty. Use ONLY good, shielded cables for all connections, and make sure the unit has either NO shelving above and to the side of it, or a fan blowing on it and at least four inches of clearance on the top and sides. good habits for any equipment, really.

John Waters

Auditioning
i'm sure you've seen my thread about this as well, but i have been unable to resolve this problem and it seems to be occurring more frequently (although perhaps that is because i am doing tests specifically designed to see when/if it will turn off). but my point of view is that, if it can't handle a movie at high volume, it is no good to me. anyway, i'm going to exchange it for another one and see what happens.

--John

Tony Mc

Stunt Coordinator
I have the AVR120 a few months and it has never shutoff on me. Whether I'm listening to a higher volume level or not.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
My AVR320 at home has shut itself off a few times, but since checking and re-arranging and replacing some questionable cables, it hasn't done it since (a few months now).

The floor models I have had at the store have never done it and none of my customers have complained about it either.

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Thanks for the responses everyone! :)
I guess this isn't as common as I was starting to think. :emoji_thumbsup:
Looks like I'll eventually get a 320.
John Waters:
Good luck with a new one. Please post what happens, if you don't mind...

DavidAM

Second Unit
I've had a 520 since the 3rd week they were released (Oct/Nov) and mine has never shut off on me. In fact, I just moved its shelf down about 3 inches to give it more venilation. It had about 1" before and it would get hot in there, but it never shut off so I don't think overheating with it is a problem. I also tend to turn it on in the evening and leave it on till I go to bed...even if I'm not watching TV so it has a good 6+ hours a day that its on. I wouldn't hesitate buying one again.

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
I had a 520 that shut off on constantly. Well a couple times a week at least but thats too much for me. I traded it in for a new one and it has shut off once. But I cant say for sure if I had the sleep timer on or not that time. Besides that the new one has been ok. It really is a nice reciever though (when it stays on).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks