How Many here use RPTV's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I'm wondering how everyone's experience with RPTV's have been. My PS2 looks good but often I have to raise the brightness to compensate on Dark games, like MGS2. That game has no ingame gamma correction, just a scale to set your set's brightness to. I try to keep the contrast below Midpoint on my Mits, but Brightness has to be kicked up a few notches. I also try to switch games often it's hard especially RED FACTION I'm enjoying that one alot, but try only to play at 30 min spurts. I love playing the PS2 and maybe soon Xbox on my 65807, but I also love my 65807 so it's a constant struggle not to move to my 20" set

2. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I have officially given up on using my RPTV for video games. Yes, it's too dark, and I don't have separate video settings for each input. Plus, trying to play 4:3 only games on a widescreen set just sucks. My GCN is in my bedroom with the 4:3 set -- at 31", I'm not going to cry about the picture.

I do miss the surround sound, but it definitely looks sharper on a direct view.

3. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

I've played my DC and now my Xbox on my Mits 16:9 (46") set with no problems at all.

4. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    I play my PS2 and Dreamcast on my Sony RPTV. No problems with brightness on most games, but I play in a darkened room. The only game that I've found to be too dark is "Skies of Arcadia" for the Dreamcast.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I play my N64 on my PT-47. Luckily my video settings have numbers, so I know that Picture should be 2 and Brightness should be 21. Then I can adjust to my heart's content to get the best videogame picture, and know exactly what the settings were when I'm done to get it back to DVD playback.

6. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I play my Xbox on a Pioneer 610HD with no problems. The picture is a little dark before the set warms up, but after 20 minutes or so, it's a beautiful thing!

7. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I've been playing games on my 60" Proscan for about 5 years now. Since it is usually in my HT room, it is dark to begin with so, the darkness of a game usually isn't a problem.
    Funny how over the years the size of your tv seems to...shrink? I'm so used to the 60" that it doesn't seem that big anymore. [​IMG]

8. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I play my XBOX on a Toshiba 50h81, and it is great.

9. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

XBox,PS2 and Dreamcast on my Sony 61hs10.I also find the picture a bit dark at times.

BTW,My brother-in-law has been playing video games on a 60" Hitachi Ultravision for the past 7yrs ,with contrast and brightness well above 50%,and has yet to experience any burn in.Go figure.I know that I would never get that lucky.

Shawn

10. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

PS2, GameCube, Nintendo 64, and Dreamcast on Sony 43". The set has different Modes that you can view things in, and 3 are user-definable so you can make changes to them. I can't make changes according to inputs. I usually watch TV, play games and watch movies in Movie mode, which turns the brightness and contrast down. If a game is really dark, I may go to Standard mode, which is what Sony recommends for bright rooms. That helps out a lot. I don't play for too long in this mode, though. It isn't exactly "scorch" (there's a Vivid mode that'll make your eyes water!), but it's a lot brighter than I would normally watch things in ...

Freddy C.

11. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

I've been playing on my Toshiba 61H71 for about 4 months religiously with no problems. People with Mitsubishis that complain about darkness-Mitsubishis are DARK pictures. That's the reason I didnt get one, I like the brightness of the Toshiba CRTs, I've never adjusted my brightness level.

12. Butch Smith

Butch Smith Stunt Coordinator

I would KILL for a picture of HALO playing on a widescreen HDTV!

My GF won't let me touch my XBOX till Xmas, and it's killing me!

Someone has gotta post a pic!

13. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

I have a 510HD and as Dave says I usually leave it running for 20 mins before playing.. but it looks great. I had to tweak my default settings (for DVD) slightly but no complaints here.

14. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

15. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

My XBOX and Gamecube are on my 57HX81. XBOX has the Hi Def Pack with component video and optical connections. The gamecube is connected using S-Video until I can get the progressive adapter.

16. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

17. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I play NES, SNES, N64, PS2 and now GC on my 40H80. I used to try and keep it under an hour straight on a single game but since I got GTA3 it's now two hours max.

jeremy

18. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I do think that playing games on the best direct view would give a better picture. But games are suppose to be brighter. However, I just can't get myself to move down in size.

19. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

20. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Dave F.--I'm afraid I lack the self-control to play in 30-minute spurts. [​IMG] I think so far my average "spurt" is about 3 hours, but of course that average is inflated somewhat by the 7-hour NFL Fever-fest on Thanksgiving and the 11-hour Project Gotham-O-rama last Saturday. [​IMG]
    I know I'm risking burn-in, but I had my set ISF'ed by Michael TLV and I'm trusting that will protect me. Because there's no way I can limit myself on this sucker! Much to the chagrin of my long-suffering wife...
    Halo is also a spurt-killer. I sit down to play that for an hour and when I look up it's 3 in the morning, I've been playing for 5 hours, and I need to be at work in another 5. Oh, the life of a gamer is a struggle indeed... [​IMG]