What's new

How many HD-DVDs do you own? And when did you get in? (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I've got about a hundred or so; got in August '06. I felt like I got a bargain when the combination of a 12% Best Buy coupon and a Massachusetts no sales-tax day got me an HD-A1 for $450 flat (the HDTV would come a couple weeks later). I'll probably continue to pick some up as they go on sale, although there's not a huge list of things available that I don't yet have.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Heh. I bought a Toshiba HD-EP35 (UK model) at the end of November 2007, I even made a topic about it:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/3274726-post1.html

Looking back it was probably THE worst time to have bought into the formats. :laugh:

Do I regret it? Hell no!

During the first couple of years of the HD format wars, I was a "DVD is good enough" kind-of guy. However, I always had that niggle... what would HD material look like on my screen?

In November 2007 due to the combination of great reviews the EP35 had gotten and the amazing deals that where around, I decided to jump straight in and pick-up a HD DVD player.

I thought to myself, that I could always pick-up a Blu-ray player in a year or so. Little did I know that in less than a month the HD DVD format would be on its back, taking its last gasps of air...

I bought a PS3 at the start of February this year and have since realised what an amazing piece of kit it is - however without HD DVD then I know that I'd still be that "DVD is good enough" guy, refusing to buy a Blu-ray player - so I love HD DVD because it opened my eyes to the world of HD.

I proudly own 50 HD DVD titles, I also have the German T2 HD DVD release on pre-order (that will probably get cancelled by the company releasing it) but that's it as far as pre-orders go. If amazon.com do any firesales of HD DVD stuff then I'll definitely check them out.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Bought my A30 in January, primarily as an upscaling unit. Bourne Identity and 300 came packed in with it, and I've since bought Superman Returns, Bourne Supremacy and Transformers. I've sent off for my 5 and will likely buy more if the sales are good enough. I see no reason to rush to Blu.

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
I bought my first Hi-Def Media player, the Toshiba HD-A3, at the end of November like you, Ric. I have about 12 titles and I too am waiting for my 5 free to arrive, but ever since Warner went BD, I haven't bought a single HD-DVD and certainly won't at this point.

But even before the Warner announcement, I was also put off by the fact that several Combo discs gave me problems on that player, despite the fact that I would update the firmware the moment an upgrade was available. I'm at 2.0 now. This problem caused me not to buy several HD-DVD titles I was interested in.

While I would love to go Blu at this point, I really can't because player prices are still far too high and I won't buy until 2.0 hits the players. I want connectivity as my entire home is networked. It is quite sad that the BD hardware manufacturers have taken so long to get the hardware to maturity, and that the technology isn't even at the point HD-DVD was a year ago.

Now we can focus our attention on giving BD manufacturers a kick in the rear to bring down prices fast and get us the features we want, features that have been talked about for a long time but still have not appeared.

And I won't be buying a PS3. I don't like all-in-one technology, and I've no need for PS3 games.

I am quite sad to see HD-DVD fail for I felt it was the better technology for my needs, but I'm willing to move on when the BD camp actually creates an incentive for me to buy in.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have 40 or so HD DVDs, purchased since April of '06. I just bought a new HD D3 as a backup unit for if/when my 2 month old A3 dies. I've been purple since about Sept. of 06.

I have a strong suspicion that many of the catalog and import titles I own on HD DVD will never see the light of day on BD, and getting a backup player is cheaper than replacing the other titles with BD.

My most recent HD DVD purchase was Elizabeth the Golden Age, saw American Gangster in the theater and didn't like it that much. Probably won't buy any more HD DVD titles.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I own 15, but only paid for two. I picked up an A2 in the Wal-Mart sale and then picked up an A3 a few days later for the same price (tacked on to a friends HD tv purchase). So I ended up with 300 and Bourne in the box from the A3 and 10 discs from the mail-in offer (received a few weeks ago). I then picked up Blade Runner on release day and Transformers/Bourne Supremacy on a B1G1. For a total investment of $250, I have two players and 15 movies - not bad.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Came in about June last year with the D2 from Costco. With a gift card it was $199, which broke my $200 line for HD entry.

Have about 70 titles. Those include the Star Trek Season One and Heroes sets.

Reviewing my titles, I have a lot of Universal discs, and last year found the HD DVD line-up a lot more exciting than blu. which is why I took a while to go format neutral. I was finally moved by titles like the Pixar discs and Lost Season Three.

I predicted to a friend in April 2007 that I would have one HD player by the end of the year. I had HD DVD only two months later, and was dual format about Oct. Things moved a lot quicker than I thought, especially end of the war!

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I got mine at Christmas and have between 40-50 discs plus the 5 free that should be here soon.

I plan on picking up 2 more players and more discs as the prices come down.
I noticed Amazon has the A3 for 109.00 today but I am going to hold out until the A30 gets down to 120.00 or so.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I bought an A3 on Black Friday 2007 for $159 from Amazon. That came with 2 titles in the box, 3 more from Amazon, and 5 more from Toshiba (still waiting for them, but they say my order is being processed). I also bought an $80 A2 as a backup a couple of weeks ago (it is now my first choice player, because I prefer the higher bitrate of bitstream via DTS that this player offers).

There are only a couple of titles I will purchase before topping out at 40-ish titles (counting the freebies). I bought into the format late last year expecting it to fail. However, the prices on the players was too great to ignore, and there were more titles I wanted in HD than Blu. I thought HD would fail this year, but I frankly thought it would last through summer. With 2 players and 40 discs, many purchased with BOGO sales or free or cheaply from Amazon and ebay sellers, I feel comfortable with what I have.

As I have said in other threads, neither format blows me away with selection. Movies that do not interest me in SD will not interest me in HD. I will top out at 40 in HD because that is all I want. I am more interested in classics than newer stuff, and neither format is oveloaded with them (though HD had a few more, which was one reason I preferred them). Also, many titles do not look all that better in HD (look at reviews of American Gangster). I do not intend to go Blu until their players and media approach HD DVD prices.

gallandro, do get that Mutiny on the Bounty. That is one of my top favorite HD DVDs. I was never a huge fan of that film, but I love it in HD. The visual beauty of the film in HD makes it a much more intense experience than I ever new it to be.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I bought my first HD DVD player just under 1 year ago (Feb. 28, 2007). I own 72 HD DVDs.

I went neutral on January 13, 2008 (Once Warner bailed, I knew HD DVD was finished) and bought a 40GB PS3. I also bought an XBox 360 HD DVD Add-On that same day and moved my A2 to my bedroom.

I plan to continue buying the few HD DVD-exclusives due to be released between now (I bought American Gangster yesterday) and April 8th as well as take advantage of any liquidation sales I run into (such as the Universal HD DVD sale at FYE right now).

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Had HD-DVD since August 06 and BD since October 06.

Have approx 90 HD-DVDs - will be keeping them - no point in disposing of them.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I purchased the HDA1 the day it was released, in April of '06. I have about 50 HD DVD's(I've had more, but have sold some here and there). I also had the Samsung BDP1000 the weekend it came out(June of '06), and have had about 30 BD's(again, I've sold some of them). I now have the A3 and the Sony S300. And I'm gonna be in the market for a 2.0 BD player when they become available.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Mmm... Summer of 2006. HD titles owned: 122

Went bi-format, November of 2007. BD titles owned: 34

Probably will buy one more HD, being 'Zodiac'.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
5-6-2006
hd x-a1

about 30 titles

i mostly just rented them didnt want to buy.

picked up a ps3 60 november 2006.
about 35 titles.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Bought my A1 the first day it was available and have 166 HD DVD's in my computer list, though I have bought some more in the Amazon half-price sale and don't have them entered yet. I see no reason to dispose of any and have bought a couple backup players (including XBox add-on).

I also bought the Sammy 1000 the first week it was out and have about 189 of those.

I'll still be buying HD-DVD exclusive titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks