How many have hobbies that require Federal licenses?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Nicholls, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I just got my type 03 federal firearms license (FFL) www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/relics/index.htm . With it I can now collect historic arms the easy way - just call up the warehouse, give them my credit card number, and have it shipped to my house via UPS. No more expensive paperwork and waiting periods! [​IMG]
    This got me thinking - anybody else have a hobby that needs a Federal license? The only other one I can think of is flying (pilot's license). My SCUBA license is from PADI, a private organization.

2. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

I dont know if this counts as a federal liscence, but I have got into model rocketry. One of the rockets for sale at the hobby store by my house has a warning on it that in order to launch you have to get permission from the FAA. The model sells for a few thousand dollars. I asked the guy working the desk and he says thats true becuase of the extreme altitude it reaches.
    It will be a while before I am too that level of expertise, but its gonna be a blast when I do get there![​IMG]

3. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Historic arms? Heck, you can also collect tanks, silencers, machine guns, mines, and some times of missiles! One of these days I need to get around to applying for a class 3 license. Do you have a range at your house?

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Don, I've got a TYPE 3 license, not to be confused with a CLASS 3 license. Our government in their infinite wisdom uses confusing terminology in FFL's. Class 3 firearms include machine guns, TOW missiles, and other such things. The general public can't buy these. A type 3 FFL only allows me generally to purchase 50 year old rifles. See the link in my first post.

5. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I used to be a disc jockey and I have an FCC license which allows me to operate a radio station, Ham Radio's and anything that broadcasts over airwaves.

Here in Montana I can purchase and carry any kind of firearm as long as it is not concealed, it is legal here to wear a firearm as long as its in a holster. I do not have a concealed weapons permit.

6. Chris RM

Chris RM Auditioning

I have a Amateur Radio license too! Cool [​IMG]
    Chris

7. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Oops. My mistake. I believe, in Virginia at least, that you can receive a Class 3 permit ... just not in any of the major municipalities.

8. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    I don't know why I forgot about ham licenses: my grandparents and my aunt and uncle were all hams. In fact my aunt and her husband MET "on the air", perhaps the first "online" romance in history, back in the 1930's.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

11. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I think there's something called a Destructive Devices license which basically allows one to own a fully auto rifle or machine pistol.

Better have zero criminal convictions or you'll probably never get the license.

If I had the extra money, I'd like to try to get one just for the exotica of it.

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I have a "Secret" USA security clearence... that's sort of federal.

Does Bond really have a license to kill, has any SPECTRE criminal ever asked him to show it??

Jay

13. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

14. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I'd love to have a Class 3 and get an original Thompson (not cheap); Heres a recent ad:

15. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    I'm a history buff about WWI and WWII, so I'm collecting rifles from that period. They also come in handy for props when watching films based upon those events, e.g. it's nice to have a Model 1891 Mosin-Nagant to hold when watching Dr. Zhivago. The former-Soviet-bloc countries have millions of old rifles in cosmoline that they had been saving for WWIII. Now they need the hard currency so they are selling them off.

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

my dad collects a few class III toys, the individual license transfers take for freaking ever.

17. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

I have an Amature Radio License.

~Kurt

18. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

John Miles wrote:

19. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

The key phrase is:

20. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator

Welcome to the wonderful world of being a Cruffler, Dennis. It saved me over $500 in transfer fees last year alone, not to count the money it saved me in markups. It's nice to by a Turk 38 for $40 or Yugo M48 for $100. I just can't wait for that executive order to expire and rifles can import from directly Russia (unlike the Eastern Bloc sattelites where all the Mosin's we've seen come in from so far). Just think of all the G43's, SVT-38's and 40's, and K98's that are hiding over there waiting to get into my grubby hands.