How many have fish in with their HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett_A, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Brett_A

Brett_A Stunt Coordinator

I am looking to put a new fish tank near my Sonosub. How many of you are keeping fish in the same room as your HT and more specifically systems that run reference level bass?

2. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I think I read an article in Stereophile that fish in the room tended to tighten up the bass and take some of the harshness out of the high end. As I recall, neon tetras were the most effective overall; but guppies especially widened the soundstage.

3. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

LOL Bob.

I have 4 tanks in the same room as my system.I used to have my SVs right next to my 55 oscar tank and the never seemed to mind.

4. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

I have 6 dwarf rainbows that seem to add bass when the are facing the side of my 50g tank. During movies I have to keep entertaining them so the sound does not fall off. Water get's a little murky at times!

-------------------------

OK OK!

Not a problem, I'm sure then did not appreciate U-571 but most people on the block didn't either. Just be smart and don't put the subwoofer right next to the tank. . . .actually that might be the best place come to think of it.

watch the fish - if they get pretty hyper you know they are having problems. Water carries sound better then air.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I did, but i found the water to screw up my system, or they started electrocuting the fish if it got near the transformers, so right now i have them downstairs... :p)

6. Brett_A

Brett_A Stunt Coordinator

Alright, I see we have a bunch of comedians here [​IMG] Anyone else have some "real" experience and not my goldfish bounced across the room from my Shiva [​IMG]

7. greg jones

greg jones Stunt Coordinator

I don't have any experience with this issue, but am thinking about doing the same thing. We are getting ready to buy a home and I will be building a theater in the basement. I have an old 25" pedastal TV cabinet (looks like a TV on coffee table legs) that I will be builing an aquarium inside (a friend of mine has already built 2 or 3 so far). I plan to print out a good picture from a TV show to use as the background of the tank. I thought that this would be a good conversation piece for the concession area.

8. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Well, I didn't used to have any fish in my HT room... no bass at all. But, then I got seriously into bass management, and now I have an abundance.

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I don't have any fish, But I do have a scorpion that I keep in an aquarium (filled with sand, fool).

Home theater drove it nuts.

It just ran in circles whenever something played, and occassionaly just smacked into the "walls". I'm guessing arachnids don't like bass or bright lights or something, because I moved the "tank" into an unused bedroom and the bug returned to his normal, boring, self.

10. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Mymom had a fish for 2 years. THen one day she bought a stereo and it lived on the same shelf as her aquarium. 1 time through the Moulin Rouge soundtrack = 1 dead fish.