How many Grammy awards for Norah? I lost count...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Burgoyne, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Seriously, how many for her and the people associated with her?

Wasn't that great when she got on stage with Aretha and Bonnie? She was so humble. And a little nervous trying to thank everybody at the end: "oh sh-t...."

She still seems in awe at her success. Heck, a year ago she was just another talented kid from the metroplex (Dallas/Ft. Worth)

Congrats and keep up the good work Norah...can't wait for the next album![​IMG]

2. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Wow! Now she just got the big one!

[​IMG] [​IMG] Album of the Year[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

6, I think?

4. Allen W

Allen W Stunt Coordinator

I think she was nominated for five? I didn't watch all of it as I was switching back and forth between the Grammys and Alias. I guess she won everything she was nominated for.

Congrats to Norah, it is a truly spectacular album!

Edit: It looks like she did win six, including Album of the Year and Record of the Year, isn't that the same thing?

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

She won 5 and her album won 3 more.

Album Of The Year
    Record Of The Year
    Best Pop Vocal Album
    Best New Artist
    Best Female Pop Vocal Performance

Best Producer, Non-Classical
    Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical
    Song Of The Year

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really consider Norah Jones to be "Pop"?

The Grammys need an "Easy Listening" category for performers like Norah.

Why don't the voters spread the love around, it gets totally boring to watch the same person sweep up, and are never heard from again.

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. Jack Fanning

Jack Fanning Second Unit

Jack Fanning
    Did Norah Jones write ANY of the songs on that album??

I've not heard the album, but I'm having a hard time believing it was better than Springsteen's "The Rising"
    Maybe I need to give it a listen.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Norah ain't "Pop" IMHO.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

11. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I have Norah's new album and quite frankly it hasn't left my cd changer since I bought it. I feel that from an wholistic (can I use that word) album the Rising is better. Bruce writes his material. The same band from the 1970's plays his material. Norah I assume gets to hand pick her songs, musicians, etc. The Dixie Chicks are similar. While all 3 play wonderfully, how many songs did they actually write? From the sense of album of the year, I feel The Rising is a total effort. That's just my lowly opinion!

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I think it's tough, because I think the Grammies don't think of that as a concrete "style" so much as the tradition defition of "popular" music. This allows the category to norminate favorites from whatever is currently popular and stay resonably current.

-Vince

13. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

I've not heard Springsteen's "The Rising," but I'm having a hard time believing it was better than Jones' "Come Away With Me."

See? It's arbitrary. [​IMG]

I really haven't heard "The Rising." Maybe I'll have to give it a listen.

JKS

14. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

I have both albums, and there's not a single track I skip on Norah, whereas I really only like to listen to about half the cuts on The Rising.

Give Springsteen his props for writing the material and addressing 9/11 as he has, and it's good to hear that "E Street Band sound" again.

But Jones' album, for a debut, is really quite impressive, at least if you like vocal torch/jazz music at all.

15. Chad Erickson

Chad Erickson Stunt Coordinator

Chad Erickson
    Jack - FYI - yes, Norah did write some of the songs on her album. One of her bandmates also wrote about half of the songs and she took an old Hank Williams and Hoagy Carmichal song.

I agree with most everyone her. Her CD hasn't left my change since I bought it late last year. Can't wait to see her in July when she comes to MN.

16. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

For the record, Norah wrote 2 songs on the album (including the excellent title track) & co-wrote 1 more.

FWIW, I've found myself listening to Come Away With Me quite a bit more than The Rising...but I found it refreshing to hear a new artist - plus the album's stripped-down production was refreshing, and contrasted the ever-flowing stream of over-produced sewage polluting the music industry today. Maybe the voters wanted to make a statement about that, too. The boss is still the boss, but maybe I feel like I've heard it before. (still the boss though!)

I'm still surprised that Springsteen's album didn't win Album of the Year, but I don't think they should spread the awards around. I think they should give it to the album they feel is the best in each category, even if it's the same album over & over!

I didn't get The Dixie Chicks doing a Fleetwood Mac cover & then saying how surprised they were that their "non-mainstream music" was popular. [​IMG]

Oh, and The Clash tribute rocked! I loved it. Those guys should've played more Clash...I'd pay to see it!

17. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

18. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I think it's ridiculous that "Best Comedy Album" merits being aired in the broadcast, but "Best Rock Album" does not. This is a music award show, right?

19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

20. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Here's a good question...for those of us who are not big Springsteen fans and really can only get into cuts like "Thunder Road" and "Born to Run"...how does "The Rising" hold up in comparison...more bluesy? Less upbeat? I have found that my musical tastes have matured quite a bit in the last 5-7 years, but Springsteen for some reason remains an acquired taste that I have yet to formalize.

Is this right up there with his best ever or simply a good rock record pitted up against mediocre competition?