What's new

how many GiGs is the movie taking up??? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jeff Durboow
im an hd-dvd owner and love it I am very impressed with the upconversion of th HD-A1 as well..i like many have my own theory's as to the format war..

i am curious if anyone could estimate the total amount of information a 2 hour hd movie takes up on a disc..just the movie..

the reason i ask is we have dvr hd cable/sat boxes available to us that can record 20 hours of hd material on a 60gb hd..**correct me if im wrong. so roughly 10 movies in 1080i takes up about 60gb..
so what is the definitive true purpose of so much room for data? i understand.. special features, hell even two versions of the movie i am still confused with the need for so much more capacity for "movies"

what has always intrigued me about blu ray was the amount of information/data that can be stored on their disc's HD as well for that matter..but other than fitting the whole LOTR trilogy on one HD/BD disc what is the reason for so much space needed for a movie??

HD dvd seems to be the simplest "terminology" advancement in technology for the general consumer who just but that new High def tv .. as educated as the consumer is who just bought that new tv the title HD DVD sounds so much easier to explain and more appealing without the need to question..thank god im not a salesmen anymore..i had to go through the divx crap back in my sales day and i never recommended that to anyone..i didn't agree with the format..

i love the technology of both these formats..but i think it takes a lot of understanding and education to make a decision as to which format to choose.
(and patience, which most of us don't have here :) )

I can see why people are hesitant and confused therfore delaying an even more dramatic impact then what we have seen..

im tired of telling people blu-ray "is" high defintion dvd..but it wont play in a high definition dvd player you have to buy a blu-ray player to play blu-ray movies.. "But will that be high definition?"
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

thanks for reading and answering my questions..I appreciate it..

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Well for one thing for something you buy you'd want pristine, sharp, artifact-free video comparable to the original uncompressed master. Shouldn't have to put up with the stuff you see because of bandwidth constraints on satellite/cable/OTA. Also the extra lossless compression audio tracks are taking up some more space. MPEG-2 would want 20+Mbit/sec, VC-1 being newer & more efficient gets by with much less. For just a movie, +SD extras using VC-1, clearly the 30GB of HD-DVD is enough. Extra space would be useful if you are doing a ton of HD extra feature documentaries, or for TV series to fit on fewer discs. Using MPEG-2, the HD-DVD advocates are arguing that Blu-ray needs to get their DL 50GB discs out to get equivalent video quality because of the higher bitrate needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks