1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How many email addresses do you have?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Gary->dee, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I've got at least 4 I check on a daily basis. My oldest email account is my Hotmail address which I registered back in '97 and I still have one of if not the first email I ever got just for sentimental purposes. [​IMG]

Then again I also have about 5 or 6 additional email addresses connected to various web services that I don't check.

You need at least 2 email addresses in this day and age, no?

2. GARY C

GARY C Second Unit

Four also.

I have my normal account for friends and family, my 'persona' account for my standard forum name, my junk account which I register to stuff with (where all the spam goes - over 100+ per day) and my work account, well for work (sometimes [​IMG]).

You are right in that fact that one account does not do it anymore. You need multiples to keep up with spam alone.

3. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I have a personal email, a band email and a student email. The student email will eventually be replaced by a work email in about 2 years, I figure... [​IMG]
    I have several aliases to my personal email which are spam-targets and I can thus easily filtered out... Most annoying thing is I'm beginning to get spam on my band email, that pisses me off!

4. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I have 3. One is for Home Theater Forum alone, to send all the email notifications to. Another is my primary one, which I use for MSN, and communicating with friends. And the third is for signing up to things, and where all the spam goes.

5. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Dozens. How many are still open I'm not sure. I use about 6 on a regular basis.

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I have four at work and ten at home. Doesn't include any free webmail accounts I created over the years and then stopped using/forgot about.

7. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I use about 8 regularly but have dozens open for various accounts/deals. It's a good way to track spam. So, forum mail might goto [email protected] while Amazon mail might goto [email protected].

8. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Three active ones. Work, Personal, and Spam Magnet.

9. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

1) Work (spam free)
    2) my former community college (used for friends/family) - almost spam free, more lately

3) University

4) account abandoned to spam, no longer checked

4) new account with same place used sparingly for ordering, semi-trustworthy sites, HTF mail, etc. - only mild amounts of spam

10. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

3 from my ISP that I use for separate purposes
    4 from sites I run

And then I also run my own local mail server, so I have 2 main e-mail addresses (1 actual account and 1 alias) there. The 7 from above all get fetched into this local mail server, filtered for spam and sorted into folders on an IMAP server. Also because it's my server I can create a bunch of different aliases ([email protected], [email protected], columbiahouse2, etc.).

So yeah, around 10, but they all end up in the same place and I only have to check 1 of them.

11. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Only one. Sympatico's anti-spam software is extremely efficient.

12. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Three. Yahoo, Hotmail, and ISP (Charter.net). The yahoo gets spammed to high hell, and I've had it since about 1996, but the spam filters have gotten a lot better.

13. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Ones I use regularly: 4 (2 Yahoo!s, 2 through my school - generic one I've had since freshman year and my departmental one)
    Ones I use occasionally: 1 (have a Yahoo! one I use if I want to forward something to myself in an attachment - save space in the ones I actually use)
    Ones I rarely use (if ever): about 5 (all Yahoo!s)

Hopefully as of this coming summer, the 2 University ones will be replaced by a noaa.gov address.

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I've got two that use regularly (home and work). But since I have a personal domain name, I've got about 10 emails available that I use for online purchases.

15. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Work
    Blackberry
    Yahoo
    Cell Phone (WAP)
    Cell Phone (SMS)
    Home