What's new

How many dvd's will you buy this year? (1 Viewer)

BrentJ

Second Unit
Just wondering how many dvd's some of you guys plan (or in some cases not plan)to buy this year? I started my collection around March of last year and I was on a limited budget. I still managed to get my collection to around 75 by the end of the year. I have been thinking that I can get my collection to at least 150 by the end of 2003. So, I guess I plan to buy at least 80 this year. Let me know as I'm wondering how many dvd's alot of you people buy each year.

Also, include some of the dvd's you plan on adding! Thanks

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
I plan on being at the 1,400 plus mark by the end of the year. my buying is only increasing it seems each month. so I guess the answer would be about 600.;)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Just wondering how many dvd's some of you guys plan (or in some cases not plan)to buy this year?
I naturally not plan to buy 1000000 DVDs this year! :D

But seriously no one knows how many DVDs he is going to buy this year. Hard to see the future! The better question would be how many DVDs did you buy last year! :D

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
How many DVDs will I buy this year? Far too many! :)
A couple of months ago I tried to set myself a limit of three a month because I was saving for a vacation... within two days I'd bought five.

Definite buys this year:

Signs ( not out here yet but I've preordered the Japanese R2 )
The Two Towers: EE.
Nausicaa in the Valley of the Wind ( R2 due in summer )

That's three confirmed then... so I guess I'll end up buying 300 :)

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
It all depends on how many of the "old" classic movies they place on DVD. I am becoming disinterested in many of the current batch of movie celebrities and more interested in the movie stars of the 40's, 50's 60's, and 70's.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I average 4 movies per week... so let's say about 200 DVD's. I only have 670 right now, so I should really try harder. :D

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
Well it took me 2 years to get to 200 DVDs.:eek:

So I will get another 100 this year I guess. I also found that new films are not that interesting anymore but everytime I tell myself to cut down on buying I discover new gems. (like mexican/spanish or asian films)
oh well. I don't drink and don't smoke so where else should I spent my money???

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
That's a bit like asking "How many slices of bread are you planning on eating this year?"

For me anyway, these things aren't meticulously pre-planned 12 months in advance.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
As some others have said, it depends on what ends up coming out this year. There are so many movies I'd love to have on DVD, that if they all hit this year, I'd buy them all. That's highly doubtful though. I suspect I'll buy at least 52 this year.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Since I already own many of the classics on dvd at this point. I would my buying will be down compared to the last few years when re-issues were everywhere.

As far as the new movies are concerned. Sometimes it's better to pick them up a month later at Blockbuster during a sale.

I got "The Others" the other day for $6.99. Great price and the dvd looked new, no scratches.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
last year I think it was close to 50 dvds, this year a lot more because of all the classics that are coming out and most of the new films that come out today are not that interesting with the exception of the LOTR dvds.

I have to say at least 50, and today my first dvd arrived of the year, The Criterion Edition of Brazil. Took 3,5 weeks to arrive so all the better now

:D

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
Well So far I'm planning to pick up 16 DVD's for sure, and who knows what else will be released

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I'll probably buy 60 titles, and send about 40 titles I
currently own off to eBay in my always needing to be thinned
collection.

(I figure at 730 titles, which I am rapidly approaching,
I can watch 2 films per day and never see the same film
twice in a year...that is collecting past reason, IMHO.)

Mark

Ian Ramos

Agent
There's about 12 or so new releases I already want, plus that never shrinking wishlist :frowning: I'll definitely get more than 50 though.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I'm siding with Larry Bevil's post regarding the older classics - in my case that includes films produced between the '40's and up to the early '70's. As a general percentage I would say that approx. 30% of what I now own and what I purchase on average would be filmed after 1980. The most recent being Back To The Future Trilogy. How many to buy this year? Well, as others have said, you can put a number down based on what you know about future releases but if anything most of us always buy more! At the moment I'm at 175 titles and have only been "collecting" to any degree over the last 18 months. My hit list for 2003?

JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH
THE ENEMY BELOW
GLENN MILLER STORY
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
PATCH OF BLUE
LES GIRLS
HIGH SOCIETY
BROADWAY MELODY OF 1940
MUSCLE BEACH/SKI PARTY (MGM DOUBLE BILL)
OSCAR
WHAT'S UP DOC?
DENNIS THE MENACE
20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA
ANDROMEDA STRAIN SE
GUNFIGHT AT OK CORRAL
MAN'S FAVORITE SPORT
SEND ME NO FLOWERS
LE MANS
THAT IS A START, PLUS APPROX. 20 RELEASED TITLES I HAVE YET TO BUY, AND NO DOUBT THERE WILL BE MANY MORE BEFORE THE YEAR IS OUT. CHEERS!

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I don't want to know how many DVDs I'm going to pick up. Geeeez.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Well, go figure. I just ended up going to Best Buy on a trip with my sister, and picked up

Stir of Echoes, The Ninth Gate, Undercover Brother, Bourne Identity, Donnie Darko and Wall Street.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Too many, condidering I'nv pre-ordered over 20 already, some of them big box sets.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I estimate between 20 and 25 for 2003. I have been collecting since 1997 and am just breaking the 100 mark soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks