Directors How many DVD's in your collection have you never watched more than once?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ryan Wishton, May 2, 2004.

1. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Interested.

How many DVD's (or what is the percentage) in your collection have you never watched more than once or not at all?

Do you now regret buying them?

P.S. Sorry. Wrong part of the forum. Mods. Feel free to move this. Thanks.

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

out of about 700 i would say 10% so far.
    maybe 15%

maybe a little bit more.
    i just pulled out a couple in the last week that i haven't even given a second thought to in at least the last two yrs.
    enjoyed one of them quite a bit, and the other i've found i can stop holding onto as i didn't enjoy it much at all this time 'round.

3. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Probably around 70%. It's a time thing. I'm mostly backlogged with watching new DVDs. The great thing is, I'm starting to forget the plots of some of my older DVDs, so rewatching them is more fun!

I don't regret buying any of my watched-once discs (apart from some of my blind buys *cough*Mystery Men*cough*, a relatively tiny percentage). I'll get around to them all again at some point.

Oh, and it'd probably be a lot less than 70% if I didn't have special features (commentaries, documentaries) to watch. Oh, and a few DVDs get played many, many times (The Big Lebowski, Wes Anderson films). [​IMG]

4. andrew markworthy

About half, which I then re-sell. In some cases, I know it'll be a 'watch once' movie that I'm viewing out of curiosity (e.g. Mystery Men), in others because it's desperately disappointing (e.g. Kill Bill), and in others because it's a vanilla disc and I've subsequently got a good adverts-free OAR copy on my DVD-R from a TV broadcast.

By re-selling the watch-oncers, I reckon that on an annual basis, the cost of buying DVDs is no more than it used to cost my wife and I in movie theatre tickets for non-child movies when you factor in parking, babysitting fees, etc. [Before anyone flames me for not seeing movies in the theatre, we do regularly take the kids to see movies in their proper environment as well; it's just going to non-child oriented movies that's problematic these days].

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

The only dvds in my collection that I haven't watched more than once are the ones I've bought fairly recently. I basically cycle through my dvds (and I have a lot), so it may take me while before I get to those films a second time, but I will. I only buy dvds that are rewatchable, so 100% of my dvds either have been, or will be rewatched, and I have no regrets about buying them.

6. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Most of them. I may not watch much more than a couple of dvds a week and I have at any time a number of discs (about 40 right now) that I have not yet watched, so re-watching is no main priority.

But, most importantly: The ones I haven't watched yet don't stay unwatched because they're bad (they're not) and practically all of my dvds have great re-watch potential (most of them are "indisputable" classics).

7. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

10%. and, no.

8. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Many. And sadly, I also have many that I've still not watched even once. So little time...

9. Because my collection is still growing, I didn't have time to re-watch old discs.

So almost all discs are watched once, so far.

Not planning to embrace HD-DVD, will re-watch most movies every 2 years once I get a better display.

Generally, few regrets despite 90% blind buys (don't rent or goto theater).

Although I was recently disappointed with American Wedding, how did this get Two Thumbs Up?

Only paid $8.30, plan on pawning and recoupe all but a rental fee.

10. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    I'm working 7 days a week, 10 hours a day so I've got little to no time to watch the stuff I'm buying new or my older titles. I just bought another 17 movies this weekend, which probably won't get watched until next year. [​IMG] I've got around 1050 movies on DVD and I'd be willing to be that at least half haven't been watched or only been viewed once. The bad thing is that I've got at least three to five titles coming each week for the next few months and a couple weeks where there are another ten or so that I will be buying.

11. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

oops.

i misread the inital post here.
    out of about 700 titles, i would say more than 600 haven't been watched more than one time...yet.

a lot of blind buys for me (don't bother going out to the shows more than a couple times per yr), and if i enjoy the movie i will hang on to watch it again sometime down the road.
    Whale Rider would be a great example.
    just saw it for the first time a month back and enjoyed it very much.
    i'm going back and forth on whether to sell it off or not, as i know someday i will love seeing it again, but i know that it will most likely be a couple yrs before this happens- and right now, i'm really cramped for storage space, with a lot of must buys coming up in the next couple months.

like Michael, having less free time than i would like for this, as well as a backlog of unwatched discs that only increases every week, makes replays only a once or twice a month occurance as it is, and there are a slew of movies i keep running across in my collection that i wish i could spin if i only had the time.

12. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I also have to say a large portion of my library is made up of titles I haven't rewatched, or watched at all.

And, if I have rewatched them, it isn't the entire way through. Maybe selected scenes.

In fact, some of my most watched DVDs probably aren't even films I like that much, but musicals with one or two great music scenes that I watch over and over.

Wish I had time to rewatch a lot of them thouh.

13. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

About 10% of my collection of about 300 DVDs consists of movies that I can watch any number of times and so I have watched them numerous times. Another 10% I haven't watched yet because they are movies (mostly classics) that I am quite familiar with (having watched them before on VHS, TV or rented DVD). The remaining 80% I have watched exactly once. These are movies that would be worth having in my collection even if don't get around to watching them again anytime soon.

-D

14. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Over half of my 400+. When I started out I was able to watch my stuff more often, but since Netflix opened a distribution center in my town, I'm able to rent 20-25 titles a month so I generally am only able to watch 2-4 of my own DVD's a month and that only keeps up with new purchases.

But, I have seen most of my movies more than once, whether by renting or at the theater and then buying the DVD and watching it again.

15. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Way too many, but I don't regret buying any of them even those I haven't watched at all.

Of the ones I've watched at least once, I'd say that 90 percent of those have been watched a second time, the problem is there are so many that haven't been watched at all.

16. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

I have quite a few movies that I haven't watched at all or only once. I buy movies alot and I don't always have the time to get to them all. There are a few that I will just watch over and over or sometimes I put a movie on for background noise.

17. Lawrence X

Lawrence X Stunt Coordinator

About 80% of my purchased DVD's have only been watched once. Once after I buy it, and then generally the second watch is when it appears on an HD channel. Except for concert DVD's, I've pretty much stopped buying. Now the pattern is rent once, then watch it again on HD when it comes out. Much cheaper and less hassle.

18. Jeannette Walsh

Jeannette Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Out of 387 DVDs only one movie and one TV set (ER2) not watched yet. About 30% only watched once mainly those bought in he last year or so. Which will get watched again in the coming 12 months.