How many DVD's do we have?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Glenn Overholt, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I have no idea if you can or even want to do this, but adding a line to each memeber' profile asking how many DVD's do you have might be fun?(?)

We could just update it as often as we felt like it, but I would like to see how many all of the members have together.

Glenn

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I'm not sure this is a great idea. It's like post counts: it becomes competitive for no good reason.
    Also, different folks "count" different ways. Me, I count actual discs. Other people count "films"/"features". Others count SKUs (individual items to buy).
    So if three HTF members all own the same two items: Star Trek TNG Season 1 and the Fox Double-Feature Disc for Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea/Fantastic Voyage, we would have three different counts.
    Discs: 8
    SKUs: 2
    "Features": 2 films + what??? 25 episodes? 1 season? 26 hours of TV show (the pilot was 2 hours)? Do you count the 4 supplement documentaries?
    Also, if you go by SKUs, how do you count The Prisoner if you bought each individual 2-pack (5 SKUs) instead of buying the Mega-Set (1 SKU)?
    You see, there are too many arguements as to how to accurately count your collection. I count shiny round things, since that's FINITE and UNARGUABLE. But it is VERY Arguable as to whether that's the right thing to do. I've been told I'm "cheating", because I count Star Wars: The Phantom Menace as "2", when it's really "1". [​IMG]
    But then, if you got the T2: Judgement Day - Ultimate Edition as a DVD-18, you got 1 disc, like me. But then most other people got it as 2 individual DVD-9's, soooo....
    Anyway...

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

The last thing I wanted to do was to start a -I have more DVD's than you have - war. I want this for a collective total for the members.

I count my disks by each physical one, and I think that would be the fairest. I do have some disks that when flipped, have a different movie on the other side, but anyway...

It would be interesting to see just how many we (as a group) have. If only 50 people did it and the total was 5k, then we'd have an average of 100 per member, and it would be fun to see if you were above or below that.

And maybe a studio could see that we really do buy these things, in record numbers.

Glenn

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Thanks for the suggestions. But Parker has his hands full already with more pressing stuff--such as keeping this place running in the first place.

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I think someone may have misunderstood me. Code would have to be set up as an additional line for the user's profiles, but we would be the ones entering or making any changes to the numbers.

Glenn

7. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Those who wish to do so, could simply put their dvd total in the sig.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Brian: OR in place of their location. So instead of your left-hand-column ID saying:
    • Brian Lawrence
      New England
    It could instead say:
    • Brian Lawrence
      194 DVDs
    I'm just grabbing "194" as an example, using Jim's post above. I haven't a clue how many you really have, so don't go ape on me! [​IMG]

9. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Glenn,
    I understood, just having a little laugh. Check my new profile. [​IMG]
    Jim

10. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I think Glen means that it would be a numeric field in the profile. This would mean that Parker or whoever could simple make the database total those fields throughout all members and stick it on the front page:

25,000 members with xxxxxxxx DVDs, av. of xxx DVDs per member

or something like that, I guess.