How many DVD discs do you own, how many DVD discs would you like to own?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Click, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Mike Click

Mike Click Stunt Coordinator

1,292 is my total owned if I could afford it I would like to own 3,000. A data base of seen often, once in a while and rarely seen DVD titles would be an ideal collection to have on hand, Yours

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

This should probably be in the Polls forum, but I'll bite. I've got 222 DVDs, and there is no limit to what I'd like to own [​IMG]

3. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

I've got around 650 movies and over 700 actualy discs! I dont wanna own like 2,000 or anything, just the movies I want. I dont set a goal, like when I get 1,000 I'll quit or somethin, I just buy the movies I like.

4. Mike Click

Mike Click Stunt Coordinator

Matt Stone Since I am using WebTV equipment the HTF poll software will not recognize WebTV. I agree with you but until the forum recognized WebTV software, there is no poll I can can even vote in.
    I feel I have justified my actions, I hope you are satisfied with my with my topic, and will continue to post. TIA [​IMG]

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hi Mike: You don't need to use the official polling software (which is used only rarely) to start a poll-oriented thread. Just start a poll in the Polls area, and people "vote" with their posts! JB

6. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I just recently broke the 500 movie mark. I'm not sure exactly how many discs I have since I count things like Angel: Season One as 1 and I have more than a few box sets.
    I have no idea what number I'll stop at. I'll probably stop buying regular DVDs because of HD DVD before I stop buying because of a predetermined number I think I should have. Who knows? That number could end up being 1000, 3000 or 501.

7. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

single-movie DVDs: 130

multi-movie DVDs:
    The Fantasia Anthology (2 movies)
    The Ultimate Toy Box (2 movies)
    Total Movie's 40 Free Movies (40 movies)
    The Godfather DVD Collection (3 movies)
    Kurosawa DVD Collection (3 movies)
    John Woo Collection (2 movies)

TV on DVD:
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer, seasons 1-3
    The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus
    Mr. Show, seasons 1-2
    National Geographic Beyond the Movie: Lord of the Rings
    The Prisoner, sets 1-5
    Sex and the City, seasons 1-3
    The Simpsons, seasons 1-2
    South Park, season 1
    Twin Peaks, season 1 (plus pilot)
    The X-Files, seasons 1-4
    The Young Ones: Every Stoopid Episode

There are a few I haven't watched yet that I don't expect to be keeping (Chocolat, Nightmare Before Christmas, Anniversary Party).

I'll be picking up a few tomorrow (Metropolis, F&L in Las Vegas, Angel season 1), but other than that there's only about 5-10 DVDs I feel the need to own. Been agonizing over the Twilight Zone box sets, but just can't seem to justify the expense.

There are over 300 DVD's that I used to own, but got rid of. These consisted of:

1) sight-unseen purchases that I didn't like (Celebrity, Killer Klowns from Outer Space)
    2) movies that I liked as a kid but don't really do it for me anymore (Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Flash Gordon)
    3) movies I don't really like very much but impulsively bought because they were cheap (When Harry Met Sally, Rocky)
    4) movies I like, but have seen them too many times (Superman, House Party)
    5) movies I like, but not enough to watch them over and over (For All Mankind, The Princess Bride)
    6) about 100 billion Jackie Chan movies, when I really only needed Drunken Master 1 & 2

My philosophy of DVD collecting has mellowed a lot over the past year. I now try to only buy things I know I'll want to watch many times, though I still make a blind purchase every once in a while (like Metropolis).

8. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I own 280 dvd titles. Had a few more than that recently but have weeded out some that I never watched or watched only once. I use to buy nearly all the newer releases only to find they would collect dust. There's a store here that I can bring in 3 used dvd's for one new one under 34.99. Not bad at all and a good way to rid some of the titles I thought I had to have.

I'm doing much better now only buying dvd's that I really really like and can watch over and over. I'm also making better uses with my $, like buying great laserdiscs at a premium! [​IMG] [​IMG]

As far as how many I would like to own? I don't look at that way. I'll just buy what I really like and see where that takes me.

9. Brad Cook

Brad Cook Stunt Coordinator

I own about 70 movies on DVD. I try to stick with the stuff I really want and that I know I'll want to watch again someday.

- Brad

10. Rain

Rain Producer

I own about 325.

There's about 450 or so more on my wishlist.

I think I could have most of the movies I want and keep the total around 1000 or so.

11. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I own somewhere in the low 300's. I lost count months ago and haven't gotten around to recounting. :b

If I put together a "wishlist" it would likely have between 100-300 titles on it. But I also could easily get rid of 20-30 discs I've got now that I can't think of many circumstances that would cause me to watch them again. But Ebaying and trading are a bigger hassle than just letting them sit on my shelf collecting dust.

12. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Supporting Actor

Joe Bernardi
    I have about 400 DVD movies.

I'd like about 1,000.

13. Cary T

Cary T Screenwriter

I have around 200. Don't have a set goal. Lately I've been attempting to trim down my collection. So far I can only part with seven of my titles.

14. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I own 123. It's technically 115.

Eight of the DVDs I own are titles I do not consider to be part of my true collection. They consist of movies I got as gifts but didn't like (Planet of the Apes remake) or movies I'm selling after losing replay value (A Beautiful Mind, Forrest Gump, The Usual Suspects).

There are roughly 100 or so existing and to-be-released titles I'm wanting.

15. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I've got nearly 700 titles on DVD. I expect that to go up drastically what with all the great titles being released this year. I could probably come up with a list or 40 or 50 already-released titles that I'd like to own. Ah, but for the money! [​IMG]

16. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating: the library rules. If you live in a decent-sized city, chances are your library system has a number of good titles on DVD. I've got 50 (the maximum allowed) on reserve. Right now I've got checked out:

Schoolhouse Rock - I'd like to watch them once more, but I could never quite bring myself to buy this
    A Hard Day's Night - a movie I wanted to see once again, and also check out the extras... but not enough to own it
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - always been curious to see how they adapted this to TV, but not curious enough to buy it
    Secret Agent aka Danger Man Volume 1 - another one I was curious about, but didn't want to risk money on it
    Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht - after getting Aguirre from the library a couple months ago, I became very interested in Herzog/Kinski. Glad I borrowed this one instead of buying it, I didn't like it nearly as much as Aguirre.
    Richard Pryor: Here and Now - an old favorite that just happened to be on the shelf
    Osmosis Jones and Happy Accidents - girlfriend's choices

I've got them all for 3 weeks, and all for free. It takes a while sometimes to get your turn with a title you want (we've been waiting a couple months now for Ice Age and Lilo & Stitch and a few others) but you can't beat the price! I've discovered some titles that I have added or intend to add to my personal collection (Aguirre, all the Ingmar Bergman, The Third Man) and some I nearly bought and would have regretted if I did (M, The Red Shoes, Nosferatu).

I can sometimes be prone to a collector's mentality and feel the need to OWN MORE (especially when faced with a terrific bargain) but now that I've rediscovered the library I have more than I have time to watch anyway!