How many digital inputs is enough?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dwight Amato, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I am helping a friend set up a new home theater and I am looking at the current offering of receivers. I am amazed at how many have only a few digital inputs. My 5 year old Sony ES has 4 optical and 1 coax digital in. I was looking at some new Onkyo's units and they only have 2 optical on 1 coax digital in. Here's my thought...

DVD player - digital input necessary

CD player - digital input (optional, could just use the DVD player)

Cable box or DSS box - digital input necessary

Gaming System (Xbox or whatever else comes out) - digital input necessary.

Am I wrong here in thinking that you would want a receiver with at least 4 inputs? I guess not everything needs a digital connection, but if you spend the money on a good receiver I would think you would want to use it's capabilities as much as possible. Any help would be appreciated finding a receiver in the $500 range that can expand as necessary.

2. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

my harman avr-320 has 3 optical and 3 coaxial inputs, 1 coax and 1 digital output (and the front coax is switchable to either input or output, making that two coax outputs. But of course, the more the better. My cable box happens to be coax digital. My PS2 I plug into the front optical input.