What's new

How many devices can I plug into my receiver?? (1 Viewer)

oharag

Grip
I have only one power outlet on my receiver. I was wondering could I plug a powerstip into this outlet, and then plug a bunch of components into the strip? I like the fact when you power on the receiver all the devices will power on (ie. DVD player, Cable Box, TV, etc...). I will plug the receiver into a decent powerstrip coming off the wall (maybe a Monster HTS 1000) so every device should be protected from a power surge. Are there any issues with plugging too many devices into the sole power outlet on the back of my receiver?

oharag

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Those outlets have a rating on them, and are intended for low current devices. Plugging a power strip into this outlet would be a very bad idea. I would say your basic CD player would be about the limit of what I would plug in to one of these outlets. If you have a good surge suppressor, it should be able to handle all your devices already.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It would probably be okay to plug in the DVD player and cable box, but not the TV. Like John said, you shouldn’t exceed the wattage limited stated on the plug.

I understand the convenience of “one button” control to turn on your whole system, though. What you might do is get a switching power director. You can plug all your components into it, and it plugs into the wall, and when you power up your receiver it switches on the components. It’s not hard to find them from Panamax or Monster that are triggered by a receiver’s 12v output.

If your receiver doesn’t have a 12v output there are other options, like Adcom’s late-great ACE-515. It has a separate AC control cord that plugs into your receiver’s switched outlet. You can find the ACE-515 regularly on eBay for $75-125.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

anth_c

Stunt Coordinator
I will second the recommendation on the Adcom ACE-515. I've had mine since 1991. It offers a solution to common problem that receiver users face...it's amazing that no one else has a similar product.

Now that I've upgraded to a pre/pro with 12 volt DC outputs, I'm using a Xantech AC-1 to control my Adcom ACE-515.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks