What's new

How many days (hours?) until New Line's flop S1M0NE is announced? (1 Viewer)

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
Some people were having a discussion on one of the threads about how some studios have announced a film on DVD the week after it flopped its openeing weekend.

Well, New Line's S1M0NE only took in 4.1 million this week for a ninth place debut.

Haven't seen the film yet (neither has anyone else), but it looks very interesting. I love psuedo- science fiction like this.

Anyway, I still wouldnt be surprised to see this as a Platinum Edition since they must have tons of material about how they "created" their digital actress; and how she was for the most part at least, model Rachel Roberts.

So how many hours do you think until it's announced?

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The DVD will be out by 2003. Even if it flopped, I don't think New Line would announce a DVD of it quickly.

This is New Line we're talking about. The studio that has around five finished films (maybe more) just sitting on their shelves collecting dust.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Shouldn't The Adventures of Pluto Nash have been announced about 3 or 4 years ago? :)

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
This may change in the future, but as far as I know, Simone will get the Infinifilm treatment.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
After seeing the trailer, I really get the idea that there's no need to actually sit through the whole film. It seems like they summarized the whole movie in two minutes. Guy creates Digital Actress, Digital Actress gets famous, fame of Digital Actress gets out of control, Guy realizes that 'he didn't make her - she made him,' Guy pulls the plug but Digital Actress lives on... the end. Why should I pay $7 to see it after the trailer wrapped everything up for me?

Anyway... I'm not surprised that this didn't do well at the box office.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I was hoping it would do well at the Box Office (though I have no intentions of seeing it in its theatrical run).

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
The movie was very good, but i do agree that they screwed the trailer bigtime.
the only one that should have been released is the second one(you can see it on the apple.com trailers site). It was a great TEASE.
bad marketing newline, bad....

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, gee, maybe there's more to the movie than just the plot outline the trailer gives you? Maybe there are good performances, jokes and bits of satire you've missed, and entire characters and subplots that aren't mentioned in the trailer?
Agreed, Jason. It's not neccessarily the destination, but the journey...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
After seeing the trailer, I really get the idea that there's no need to actually sit through the whole film.
Gee, I don't know why anyone bothered to go see Titanic then, we all know the boat sinks in the end! ;)
Sometimes the plot isn't what makes a film worth seeing.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well Ebert and Roeper split on it. I thought it reminded a bit of Trumanshow and ten I found out it was the same Director. The shots they show of Pacino alow on the soundstage, like he could pull off all this technology by himself. It looked like a flop from the Previews that made the usually interesing Pacino seem dull.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Was this movie even promoted? The only reason I knew that it existed was because I saw banners for it the other day over at AICN, and then saw Al Pacino on Letterman that same night. I've not heard or seen anything about it since.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
When I was shopping for TV's a few weeks ago, all the stores had the Simone trailer in heavy rotation. Given that I can't stand Al Pacino for more than a couple minutes at a time, a few dozen viewings of the trailer were sufficient to ensure I won't go see the movie. I suppose I might rent the DVD and give it a shot but it did not look promising.

As for Titanic, I watched about a half-hour of it when it was run in prime-time television. What a gasbag of a movie. It has the problem of virtually every other disaster movie. Since you know there's going to be a sinking or an explosion or whatever, all they have to fill an hour or two before the big spectacle is "character" stuff. Throw in a bunch of "Love Boat" level soft-core soap opera and the whole movie sinks before the ship even gets near the iceberg. Hundreds of screenwriters looking for jobs out there and they apparently can't find one who knows how to create an interesting character or write dialog.

Didn't James Cameron make Titanic? I remember when he used to make movies that were lots of fun.

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe it got beat by Serving Sara. The movie does seem like a good choice for infinifilm though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks