how many component inputs do you need?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Amit Singla, May 1, 2002.

1. Amit Singla

Amit Singla Auditioning

I was looking at the BIG screen duke em out website and noticed that the Hitachi SWX series has only one 1 component inpt on the tv which leads me to a question, other than a dvd player, what would I need to hook up using component video? I noticed that my PS2 has component outs but I am assuming that is only for watching movies, not from gameplay. Also, is there a way around only 1 set of component inputs?

Amit Singla

2. Amit Singla

Amit Singla Auditioning

Actually, this has got me thinking now. My satellite receiver (DISH) has component outs. So how in the world would I hook up my dvd player and satellite directly to my tv if there is only 1 set of inputs? Unless, my information on the HIT 61SWX12b is incorrect. :b

Amit Singla

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The Hitachi has 2 sets of component inputs. I noticed in another thread of yours you were considering the Hitachi or the Mits 65908. The Mits has 2 sets of 480/480p component inputs and an HD(1080i)component input. If you add the promise module to the Mits down the road it will have an additional HD component input, as well.

DJ

4. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Hello Amit,

You were wondering about using component connections on a PS2 system. I just bought a Gamecube system about a month ago along with component cables as well and they can be used during gameplay. In fact, the PS2 and XBOX systems have some games which are actually progressive-scan capable. For more info on this, check out the thread someone started on the videogame software section which contains a list of games with either 480I or 480P. Depending on which receiver you have, it may also have component switching like my Yamaha does.

5. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I've got 3 component sources right now, and could easily add more. Now - I have my DVD player, Xbox & HDTV receiver using them and it's all switched by new receiver (Pioneer VSX-49TX.)

I'm probably going to add a PS2 when they drop the price - I'll have to figure out what the heck to do then. I may just put it directly into the TV, or I'll have to buy an outboard switcher (darn it.)

That was the one thing I didn't like about the VSX-49tx- but it's a small gripe since my Mitsubishi has 3 component inputs (well, one is HDTV...)

I can definitely see somone needing 4-5 - if you had a multiregion player and a regular DVD player or are a gamer (requiring 2-3 systems needing component inputs) you could easily run out.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Short Answer: AS MANY AS POSSIBLE. [​IMG]
    How's this for a set of HD/Component devices:
    - STB (set top box) to get over-the-air HD signals
    - DVD w/Progressive Scan outputs
    - XBox with HD/Progressive cables
    - HD Sat receiver (to get DSS-based HD signals)
    - HD Recorder (Could be built into the Sat receiver or be a VHS-Tape type unit)
    This is NOT a atypical list.
    This is why it may be important to make sure your receiver will switch HD component signals for all sources.
    Hope this helps.

7. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

8. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

9. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

I presently have:

1. HD Decoder (1080i)
    2. Panasonic RP91 (480P)
    3. Malata N996 (480P)
    4. Plastation 2 (480i)
    5. Gamecube (480i)
    6. Iscan Pro (480P)[/list=1]

Now, I realize that both of those Game Systems can do 480P natively on certain titles, but I've decided to wire them through the Iscan Pro so I get 480P all the time. Maybe not as a good of a solution for select titles, but I think overall it works better.

I happen to have one of those Mitsubishi sets with the three inputs. I make all of this possible by plugging the HD decoder into the 1080i input. I purchases a JVC 555 video switch to switch the two DVD players (which is plugged into the second input) and I then run the Gamecube and PS2 through my receiver (which is then fed into the Iscan Pro) which uses the last componenet input.

I would love to Add an Xbox, but I'm out of inputs.... and I don't particuliarly want to by ANOTHER video switch. Never mind some of the things other folks have mentioned.

More component inputs then better in my opinion. However, I don't think anybody puts more than 3 on their sets. [​IMG]

-Alan

10. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor