How many cities are going to be (fully or partially) screwed when Buffy moves to UPN?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveBB, Jul 23, 2001.

1. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

We here in St. Louis do not have a UPN station. For the last year the local WB affiliate has been carrying "Star Terk: Voyager" and "Smackdown" on Saturday evenings/nights. Initially there were rumours that we would not get "Buffy" or "Enterprise" at all here! Talk about panic!!!
    Fortunately it looks like those two shows will be broadcast on Saturday evening so we will not be totally screwed. However:
    • The rest of the country will get the shows 4 days before us.
    • The WB affiliate shows a lot of St. Louis Blues hockey and Cardinals baseball games on Saturday night. If I'm not home, timeshifting will be a bitch.
    Is anybody else in a fair sized market (cities of 100,000 people or more) in the same boat? Either having the shows moved to another night or not getting them at all?

2. Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl Stunt Coordinator

If you get a TiVo machine or its equivalent you will never have to consider manually time shifting a program again.
    Dave

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Portland, ME has the opposite situation - they have a UPN station that shows the WB schedule at off hours, although there was talk of switching the affiliation to WB since even off-hours WB programming was getting higher ratings than everything but Voyager, Smackdown!, and Red Sox Baseball.
    I sort of envy the folks who have combined WB/UPN stations. They don't have to worry about "Buffy" vs. "Gilmore Girls", and the "Roswell"/"Smallville"/"24" logjam is less hellish.

4. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    I have good friends who live in Dayton OH; one of our favorite topics is TV. According to them, Dayton has no UPN affiliate at this time.

5. Michael St. Clair

Cincinnati has a low-power UPN affiliate. Because Time-Warner views UPN as competitors to their WB stations (the power of vertical integration), they don't want to carry any stations that they don't absolutely have to. They'd rather carry a single out-of-town UPN affiliate and destroy all of the little stations, who will not be able to claim high viewership to their advertisers if they cannot be on cable. But, they can't afford to carry the out-of-town (Boston) affiliate. Hence, no Buffy or Enterprise for most Cincinnatians this fall.
    Because UPN-25 is low power, most of the viewers in the area cannot get the station without a rooftop antenna. Trust me, I've tried! The same thing is happening in Syracuse, Rochester, and who knows where.
    Fuck Time-Warner! Fuck Time-Warner!
    http://www.wbqc.com/thewar/thetruth.htm
    http://enquirer.com/editions/2001/07...tter_time.html
    [Edited last by Michael St. Clair on July 23, 2001 at 10:38 PM]
    [Edited last by Michael St. Clair on July 23, 2001 at 10:39 PM]

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Not Time Warner Cable in Austin, TX anymore! We will be getting a UPN back starting Aug. 2nd!
    ------------------
    Michael Alletto
    Mike's DVD List

7. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Here in Bloomington/Normal we get both WB and UPN. I was not happy that Buffy was moving to UPN though. We have ATT cable here and get an almost perfect picture with WB but a crappy UPN feed. I wince every time I watch Star Trek on UPN.
    It's channel 3 for me and I have no idea why it is the worst local channel I can get.

8. Chuck Parker

Chuck Parker Agent

I can sympathize with the folks who will be losing Buffy come the fall, as I've been without a WB affiliate here in Richmond VA. Luckily, the local NBC affiliate picked up the programming late nights, so got to see it with the aid of the VCR, but I was at least a week behind the world, and couldn't really contribute to the HTF Buffytastic(tm) thread.
    Of course, Richmond does have a decent UPN affiliate, so with the change, Numfar's dance of joy is definitely in order.
    -Chuck

9. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

I know what your talking about too. We dont have a dedicated UPN channel so I cant get WWF Smackdown on Thursdays, instead I have to wait for it to come on Fox on Saturdays at 5 in the afternoon. Theres no point watching it then cause all the spoilers are already out.
    ------------------

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Might I suggest you dump your cable and get a DBS? It's cheaper, and they carry both WB and UPN affiliates
    Jeff Kleist

11. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

12. Joe_Rod

Joe_Rod Extra

I live in Waco and we get WB and UPN on the same channel. When the news went out about Buffy switching to UPN, I wondered how this would affect the Buffy/Angel back to back showings. I got my answer when they started showing Angel on Mondays and Buffy reruns on Wednesdays and Sundays.

13. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Stupid Paetech here in Newark, Delaware doesnt get WB or UPN. We're a brand new apartment complex with 1,000 students and we get the dumbest lineup ever. Some kind of hybrid DSS + Cable deal. But I'm still trying to get the management to get UPN or WB. Looks like UPN is more likely.
    JQ

14. Michael St. Clair

Actually, the FCC just changed the rules for 'superstations', including the WB and UPN affiliates that are carried on DBS. You now have to get a local waiver to get each superstation.
    DISH is the only one with UPN, btw. And because of the new rules and the fact that most people will not qualify, they no longer mention the superstations on their web site and literature.