How many CDs can a CD recorder burn?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne A. Pflughaupt, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’m in the market for a CD recorder - finally retiring that cassette deck that never gets used anymore. I don’t know much about these, so I’m relying on what the good folks here can tell me. [​IMG]
    I’ve located a nice used one, in excellent condition. The owner says he’s burned about 40 CDs with it. So what I need to know is, would this be considered a heavily-used recorder? Does anyone know what the life expectancy of these is? Sure don’t want to get one that’s “all used up.”
    The recorder in question is a Pioneer PDR-509, if that helps.
    Thanks,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    The life expectancy should be about the same as CD player of the same quality with a few more parts that can wear out and may need repair, much like a cassette deck vs. an auto-reverse cassette deck. Some of the more expensive models have better analog to digital converters if you record from analog sources and want a bit better quality. I have a Pioneer Elite recorder and it works quite well.

3. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I have used a PDR-509 to record about 150 discs and it worked great up until this fall. Now when it records, it will leave an odd, distortion on some of the recorded discs. Sometimes 10 or more discs will record fine, or 5 in a row will have the distortion. Sometimes the whole disc will have it, or just part of one song. It is a very frustrating problem.
    My unit is currently in the repair shop for the third time. The repair depot has no idea how to fix it and Pioneer denies that these units have a defect.
    There are some threads about the problems this model has. I would do a search for them if I were you. I am not one to bash other's equipment, but I would not recommend this unit. Part of the reason is the defect in the unit, part is the lack of response by Pioneer.

Regards
    KrisM

ps - I also had troubles with the Pioneer PDR-555 model. It was a different problem but Pioneer had no idea how to fix it either. They're solution was to give me a PDR-509.

4. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

You can record as many as you want, until the manufacturer's warrantty runs out, and then it will break. [​IMG]

5. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

i wouldnt worry about it....i wouldnt say 40 is a lot. on my old HP writer from 2 years ago, I would say I've done 300-400 and it still worked fine...upgraded to a 48X POLOROID [​IMG] but then I went to a Sony DVD-500U which I love.

6. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Hmmm, good question. In the computer world, I remember the MTBF (mean time between failure) estimate being used to estimate the life span of a drive. Maybe a Pioneer CD burner for a computer could be used as a general guideline if they publish the statistic somewhere. 40 hours of burning seems like a tiny amount to me. I haven't had any problems with my 509 model yet.

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Thanks to all for the responses and especially to Kris and Brian for the “heads up.” The “pros” for this recorder seem to outweigh the “cons” – especially in light of the overwhelming positive comments on audioreview.com. I’m certainly willing to gamble $150 or so. Even if it only records 150 CDs, that gives me about 110 – probably two or three times as many as I’ll ever do!

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt