What's new

How many bass shakers for a 7' sofa? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
I think this is gonna be fun... I've got a couple of friends who come over for movies occasionally - I'm not gonna tell 'em first...

Jonathan M

Second Unit
I have 2 of the Aura interactor shakers in a Lazyboy, and it's more than enough. They run off around 10W amps each. One was plenty, but having two increases the dynamic range of the shake, ie soft shake to heavy shake range is more.

I would do at least 3-4 for a 7' couch, remember that more is generally better, but sometimes you get phase cancellation issues. Just make sure you bolt them well to the structure of the couch and, if you can, place some rubberized isolation material between the couch and floor. If you have a suspended floor this may not be necessary. Basically you want the couch to shake by itself, otherwise the shakers will be trying to shake the whole house, which won't be very effective!

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Okay - I've got two already. I'll hook things up tonight, and see how it works - the couch is pretty light in weight, at least compared to my foldabed couch. If it isn't quite enough, I should be able to order some more.

What do you recommend for isolation material?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I've got a couple of friends who come over for movies occasionally - I'm not gonna tell 'em first...
Always the best. :) The bass just seems like so much more when there's shaking involved.

What I'm wondering is how would phase be an issue when you just wire them all the same way so they move together?

Oh, and by isolation do you mean you're supposed to isolate the couch from the ground for more vibrations? I think foam pads or rubber might work for that.

RayJK

Stunt Coordinator
I have 6 in my couch, I had 2 but that wasn't enough and found a deal on 4 more.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Wired up the pair last night, but haven't bolted 'em in yet - it's snowy here, and I'm gonna have to do some major furniture shuffling to be able to flip the couch.

So I tried putting 'em under the couch cushions. Not comfy. But lemme tell you, the first scene in SWII was an experience... The Moria scene in LOTR was also interesting. I think a pair will work for starters.

I'm running 'em off my old Marantz 2230, wired 'em for 8 ohms - The things seem to have a fairly narrow band where they're effective - had to crank the volume to about 2 o'clock on the receiver dial... It's an "honest" 30 watt receiver, and I'm worried that if I run it much hotter, I'll toast 'em. I'll ask that in another post.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Okayfine - Just ordered another pair of the dealies. Gonna rig a bolting/suspension solution this weekend.

Also, and I know several of you folks will be thankful I've done this, ordered a copy of the Loudspeaker Cookbook, and I plan on doing some reading.

It was backordered tho, so I suppose I'll be asking a few more stupid questions...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks