1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

how many bass shakers can 1 receiver handle?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tom_furman, Jul 27, 2001.

1. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

i have a 2 yr old sony pro logic receiver that i'm going to use to power some shakers...how many can i use? 4, 5, 6?

2. tom_furman

c'mon guys..quit being so shy :p

3. RyanL

RyanL Stunt Coordinator

It all depends on how you wire them. I have mine currently running off of the L channel on my seprate amp and that feeds 2 of them into an 8 ohm load. I could also put 2 more into the R channel as well. And have 4 at 8 ohms at equal watts. Just remember that the more you hook up, the more watts you'll need. Impedance is part of the problem, because you'll want to make sure that you've got at least a 6 ohm load to the receiver. The less ohms, the higher the wattage going to the bass shakers. Thereoretically, you could hook up infinite #, but after about 4 per channel, I'm sure that the wattage would suffer and you would hardly feel them. That's just a guess, because I've only got 2. How many wpc at 8-ohm, 2 ch. mode is your receiver?

4. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

How many watts can a your bass shakers take and how many watts can your sony push out.?
    I guessing a bass shaker can take 25-50 watts and your reciever puts out about 100 watts a channel. So 4 or 6 or 8. Just make sure you wire them right so that a 6-8 ohm load is presented to the receiver. You'll have to use a combo of parallel and series.
    Hope that helps

5. tom_furman

its a 100w x 4 receiver...so i'm not sure how many watts thatd be in 2 channel mode... [​IMG]
    so if my receiver can do 100 x 4 and the shakers take 25w can i do this:
    front left channel: 2 shakers
    front right channel: 2 shakers
    rear left channel: 2 shakers
    rear right channel: 2 shakers
    ?
    [Edited last by tom_furman on July 27, 2001 at 01:10 PM]

6. John H

John H Second Unit

I would suggest just using the Main channels on a DPL receiver to avoid processing.
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Epicenter

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Tom: I think you only want to use the L/R main speaker outputs to drive your shakers.
    You have to take the LFE output of your main processor and split it. You take one side of the split and send it to the Left input on the ProLogic receiver. The other side goes to the Right Input.
    So now you have LFE signal being amplified to the L and R speaker terminals.
    You can run 4 shakers off of each.
    Make sure you tell your ProLogic receiver that your L/R speakers are LARGE or it will not even send the LFE signal to these speaker terminals.
    How to wire: this is the safest way I can recommend:
    You want to wire all 4 shakers in SERIES. This will look like a single 16 ohm speaker to your receiver. All shakers will get the same power, and you run little risk of damaging your receiver.
    This means: take the wire from the red speaker terminal and wire it to the red wire on Shaker #1.
    Black wire from Shaker #1 to red wire on Shaker #2.
    Black wire from Shaker #2 to red wire on Shaker #3.
    Black wire from Shaker #3 to red wire on Shaker #4.
    Black wire from Shaker #4 to Black speaker terminal.
    How to adjust: Turn the volume control all the way down on the Prologic unit. Fire up a bass-heavy scene on your dvd player and adjust it's volume to your normal listening level. Use the A->B repeat feature of your DVD player to cycle through several seconds of bass over and over again.
    Slowly, turn up the volume control on the ProLogic unit until you start feeling vibrations. Note the dial position. Allow yourself another ... 25% of the dial swing as a safe area to play with and adjust to taste.
    Good Luck.