What's new

How many are you withholding purchases until 4k/atmos versions arrive? (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
For brand new movies, especially ones that were mixed in Atmos from 3 years ago, I have stopped buying them altogether.For older classics, black and white films... I don't care as much on the audio side. I won't care if they remixed casablanca or nosferatu in Atmos... but i would love those in 4k one day.Either way, both 4k and atmos announcements are bound to kill sales. I think a bulk of blu-ray sales come from enthusiast. Average joe are still purchasing DVDs or not buying anything, but rent from redbox or stream.What are you doing?

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I'm not holding back for anything. I doubt the films I'm interested in (pre-1990 catalog titles) will ever see the light of day on 4K/Atmos, other than big titles like Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia, Ben-Hur, The Wizard of Oz, etc. If catalog title comes out on BD that I want, I'm buying it NOW.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
You can spend your life waiting for the BBD, or you can dive in and enjoy. I choose the latter, as I doubt I'll be upgrading to 4K or Atmos any time soon, since I recently had to purchase a new vehicle. That's what happens when your commuter vehicle accrues 286,000 km [179,000 mi] in 7 years.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I might need a new truck as well.My 97 F250 powerstroke has 1,219,876.Went to put new leafs on the front(finally sagging) and the rear mount has gaps to the frame. Not usually fixable.But...If the projector price I see is correct for April, going 4k(wholesale price even less than Gregg Loewen(??) pays to resell to "you").Thereby waiting on an AVR with fully baked 4k. Buying the movies when they arrive.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Yeah, the straw that broke the camel's back for me was when my alternator died on the way to a remote court point. I was 200 yds past the ________ 1km sign when it happened. Talk about frustrating.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
The studios haven't said that they will support 4K Blu-ray. Since they are so hell bent on going to digital, I will wait to get my hopes up until they do. The president of the BDA blowing his horn doesn't mean anything to me with all the indicators going the other direction.

If/when 4K on disc becomes imminent then just like with Blu-ray vs. DVD, I'll have to judge each purchase on the likelihood on it coming to 4K anytime soon. I'm guessing it'll only be new and recent releases and the usual action / tentpole catalogs that usually come out early. But for the catalogs, I'll have most of them anyway, so I'll have to see which ones are worth another purchase.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I saw a 4K set in action the other day (at BJs, so I'm sure it wasn't calibrated or anything). Let's just say that I feel better now about having to someday replace my main DLP set with an LCD. :)

IMO, when "regular people" see the new 4K sets at 70" and larger, many of them will be interested. The PQ improvement was very noticeable. I think the tipping point will be when the big cable providers start offering lots of 4K programming. Dunno if existing infrastructure can handle that, though -- if not, then it'll be a good long time.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Aaron Silverman said:
I saw a 4K set in action the other day (at BJs, so I'm sure it wasn't calibrated or anything). Let's just say that I feel better now about having to someday replace my main DLP set with an LCD. :)

IMO, when "regular people" see the new 4K sets at 70" and larger, many of them will be interested. The PQ difference was very noticeable.
I don't think 70" and above sets will ever be common - the divorce rate would skyrocket.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Sure they will -- prices have already dipped into the triple digits in some sales, I think. And the 80" sets are starting to arrive!

Man. . .I remember paying over $900 for a 31" Panny CRT! And when we were kids, we always wanted to watch the Super Bowl at that one guy's house with the rich dad who had a 42" RPTV. What a behemoth! :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Worth said:
I don't think 70" and above sets will ever be common - the divorce rate would skyrocket.
Yeah, I mean never say never but basically all the people that I know consider a 42 inch TV to be HUGE. Granted, times change and people are getting accustomed to larger screens but I don't think I even know anyone that has a room that can reasonably accomodate a 70 inch TV.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
TravisR said:
Yeah, I mean never say never but basically all the people that I know consider a 42 inch TV to be HUGE. Granted, times change and people are getting accustomed to larger screens but I don't think I even know anyone that has a room that can reasonably accomodate a 70 inch TV.
Agree. I live in a 3000 sq ft home with an open living/kitchen/dining area on the main floor. When you consider that "most" people don't decorate their main viewing areas based on audio/visual equipment but rather on seating, furniture, decorative items, etc, when you start getting over 60 inches, the TV will dominate a room unless you live in a bigger-than-average home. Now if you have a dedicated home theater (which 90% of consumers don't), a 70 inch TV is no big deal but in an average living/family room, it's a behemoth.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
ahollis said:
I'm done with up grading to the next big greatest. I'm happy with Blu-ray and I'm also starting to enjoy streaming, which I thought I never would.
Pretty much goes for me too. I'm very pleased with BD, and most of my equipment is less than 3 years old, and I upgraded a lot of it just a few years before that because TV/audio kept changing so fast. I'm pretty much done for the next 5 years (subject to equipment failures). I've also invested thousands in my BD collection and can't see spending thousands more to upgrade for, what I perceive to be, an incremental improvement from BD/1080P to 4K. The move from SD to HD was a huge, undebatable difference in picture quality, both in terms of physical media and broadcast/cable/satellite viewing.

4K, IMO, just isn't a big enough difference for me to upgrade again.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
re: large panels, you can always hide them in the ceiling lolz that should meet any wife approval factor.

re: size. i have 100" diagonal running 720. unless the source of the tv/movie is pristine and they did a stellar job transferring the content and encoding it properly, i couldn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080. when i demo the 1080, i ran a test w/my friends who are not ht enthusiast. they couldn't tell the difference.

but DVD vs. 720, absolutely. 720 is way sharper.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Blu-ray 3D can't even gain a foothold in the market, so 4K is not going to make it for home use. When you see that Blu-ray is nowhere near replacing DVD or digital download, there's absolutely no hope for 4K. Atmos is a little bit different simply because it is backwards compatible so it will be a bonus for those who want it but will not have an effect on those who don't. However just like 4K, I think Atmos is really overkill for small home theaters. Atmos is for auditoriums. In my small room the array of speakers are so close to each other that there is barely enough separation as it is. Putting 2 more speakers on the ceiling just isn't going to do that much.

So the short answer is: No, I'm not holding out for either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks