What's new

How many and whats kinds of speakers do I need? (1 Viewer)

Seam Dempsy

Stunt Coordinator
Im going to buy my audio system piece by piece but since I am just getting into this I am not sure what types to buy and how many I need. Im more of a casual movie watcher so Im not looking for something that will challange the local cineplex. I am looking for the minimum number of speakers needed for surround sound and the types I need to achieve a surrounding sound.BTW, I am planning on getting all JBL. Thanks.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I think we all need to know your music / movies listening percentage and your budget for all of this.

I would probably worry less about the surround sound if you're just a casual movie viewer and care more about the quality of the sound. (IE- a great pair of L/R Mains vs 5 crappy sats and a crappy sub).

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
The number of JBL speakers you will need depends on how "surrounded" you want to be (5.1,6.1,7.1). All that is needed for Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 sound is two main channel speakers in front along with a center channel speaker above or below your TV, and a couple of surround speakers. If you buy small speakers, you'll probably want to add a subwoofer to the mix.

JBL sells timbre-matched satellite speakers, so your shopping experience will be a breeze.

John S

Senior HTF Member
To do 5.1 you need 6 minimum. (Ok you can get away without the sub I suppose)

What amp or receiver is it?

Seam Dempsy

Stunt Coordinator
>>What amp or receiver is it?

It has yet to be bought. I am looking at Sony though since I got a $100 coupon after buying my TV.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have had great luck with these for recent ultra bargain 6.1 installs....

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...490&svbname=30

Yamaha NS6490 $78.95 per pair....
You need 3 pair for a 6.1 setup.

With their 8" woofs, they even do a decent job without the sub....
With a sub, they do an amazing job for the money.

Probably the best $40 speaker ever made really.....

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I highly advise goind 6.1......

I installed two different HT rooms over the weekend with the Onkyo 6.1 SR-501 available factory refurbished at about $180...

Try to get a 6.1 reciver is you can, the extra sound modes that come with them, are a way plus.

Also since the future is HDTV, try to get one that has component video switching.

The Onkyo at $180 is the cheapest really great unit that comes with 6 high current amps and component video switching. Unless the sony comes in significantly cheaper, I'd say go with the Onkyo SR-501 deal.

Good luck with your introduction to HT!!!

Seam Dempsy

Stunt Coordinator
Will they last though? Im looking for a system that will last me my last year of highschool, through college, and then until I have a secure job.

Seam Dempsy

Stunt Coordinator
Only $180? The lowest sony would come in at $200(with coupon) so maybe ill look into this Onyko. Thanks for all your help.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
I'd second the opinion that you should concentrate mostly on your main L/R speakers, and centre if you can. That way you'll have 2 good speakers for stereo listening (assuming you'll be usung the system for a lot of music while at college, based on my experience). For now you can always pick up a cheap pair of surrounds that will do the job until you can move up to something bigger. That seemed to work out well for me (and my original surrounds were like $40 for the pair!)

John S

Senior HTF Member
That Onkyo deal was at ECOST.. by the way..
I think they are still available.

Those speakers will last, torchered mine and they still work great, as I installed them at my brother-in-laws house over the weekend on the Onkyo SR-501...

These are just the most bargain of suggestions, of what I think is still pretty top notch. I actually like the speakers better than nearly every small sat type speaker, with less than a 6" driver. The 8" 3 way config, gives it a full bodied sound at least.

All channel stero with them on the 6.1 Onkyo was very impressive as far as music went. But he also had a sub.

John,
I'd be curious about your experience(s) with E-cost. I've seen them get ripped apart in customer reviews due to excessive delays, lack of inventory (despite what the website advertises) and general customer service. Yet they consistently seem to have the lower prices.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Is that including ecost taxes + surcharges + handling fees? Ecost's listed price is usually a lot less than the final price.

Anyways - say you have $500 to work with. I would put $200-$300 in that in a used receiver or heavily discounted last year's model. Then w/ the remaining $200 - I would go for the best new or used L/R Mains that you can get. A pair of decent mains will definitely outclass a set of crappy sats. Once that 5.1 or 6.1 novelty wears off, you'll be itching for better sound - and you dont want the upgrade bug on a college budget. If you save up and build up in pieces, you'll end up with a MUCH higher quality setup than if you were to quickly dive in to a 5.1.

John S

Senior HTF Member
ecost Onkyo SR-501
$184.95 to my door, including a $4.95 handling fee and free shipping.

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be curious about your experience(s) with E-cost. I've seen them get ripped apart in customer reviews due to excessive delays, lack of inventory (despite what the website advertises) and general customer service. Yet they consistently seem to have the lower prices.
I bought a fairly expensive laptop from eCost in July, and their service was nothing short of fantastic. I ordered it on a Monday evening and received it (no shipping charge) on Friday in Texas. Now that is fantastic in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks