How many amps (electrical) do 5-channel 125/200W amps pull?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Price, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

I'm trying to make sure I'm running enough amps into my basement sub-panel, but really have no idea how many amps 5-channel amplifiers can pull. So, if anyone can tell me how much juice is required for any of these amps, I would appreciate it...
    [*]Acurus 125x5[*]Acurus 200x5[*]ATI 1505[*]ATI 2505[*]Parasound 2205
    Thanks.
    ------------------
    -Jason
    If at first you don't succeed, see if the loser gets anything...

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jason,
    Typically the owners’ manuals will have this information.
    However, if you post the power ratings for these amps, it will be easier to make a recommendation.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List

3. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Jason, if you go to the specs page on the internet sites for each of these products, you can get close enough for your purposes.
    For instance, the Parasound 2205 AT shows 1500 watts power consumption. If you divide 1500 by the line voltage, say 110 volts, you get 13.64 amps.
    I assume this would be the draw with all channels driven to full power, something that will never happen in actual practice. With this in mind, I should think that a separate 20 amp circuit just for a single 200w X 5 amp would be appropriate. I would, however, run the numbers for the biggest drawing amp you could possible consider in the future.
    Extra circuits are cheap to put in while you're doing it in the first place, so do plenty.
    Deane

4. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Thanks for the info, Deane. Unfortunately, the Parasound amp is the only one I've been able to find any power consumption info for... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Jason
    If at first you don't succeed, see if the loser gets anything...

5. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Seems like I remember a review somewhere for the ATI 2505 stating that it needed a separate 30 amp circuit. I could be completely wrong on which amp is was, but I might be worth the effort to call ATI's toll free number and ask about power consumption. If you can handle the biggest amp's demands, then using a smaller amp instead later will present no problems.
    Deane

6. Ron Hanson

Ron Hanson Agent

The ATI 2505 needed a 20amp circuit.
    It uses a 20amp plug. If you look at
    a true 20amp outlet, it can accept this plug
    which is a little different.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Isn't it a "rule" that the power consumption numbers have to be on the back of the component on a metal plate (or something)?
    'Course, that doesn't do you any good if you don't have access to the amp itself...
    ------------------