How low will a SVS 22-31PCi go?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Jordan, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Ben Jordan

Ben Jordan Stunt Coordinator

Ben
    ...and still be loud/useful? Anyone know?

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Hi....
    I recently purchased the PCi25(22)-31 and I can assure you it goes plenty low enough without losing much output. When I asked Tom V, one of the owners, the same question, he said it was like .5 db or something difference when it's tuned to 22hz. The thing rocks....you would be hard-pressed to find another sub anywhere near this price range that will satisfy you like an SVS. My wife and I use it primarily for HT, and it makes the experience complete. As much as I love the other speakers in my set-up, the SVS makes our HT what it is....and that is AWESOME. I think you will also find that it blends in rounds out music very nicely. The bass is very clean, not boomy. Try it....you'll love it [​IMG]
    Equipment:
    Outlaw Audio 1050 6.1 receiver
    Paradigm Monitor 5 v.2
    Paradigm CC-370
    Paradigm Mini-Monitors
    SVS PCi25-31 (soon to be PCi20-39)

3. Ben Jordan

Ben
    Thanks Alan, yes I DO love my 22-31PCi! I've had it for a few days, and have enjoyed it every time it turns on. I was just curious about the lowest Hz it could produce. Thanks for your reply, though. I have a friend who, after hearing/feeling my sub, has begun saving up for one.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

[​IMG]
    The 22-31PCi should produce a line some where between the red and light blue lines in this graph.

5. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

dustin that graph is exactly what sold me on the 25-31 (tuned to 22), it is hardly anything. WIth calibration, it doesn't drop off at all!!!

6. Ben Jordan

Ben
    Yeah, I've seen that graph a number of times... what does that mean to me, as a lay person? [​IMG] How does the graph translate to decibels? Like 0 = x decibels... -30 = x - 30 dB? What is x?
    Like this is what I'm used to seeing... positive numbers, in decibels (since I know about how loud 85 dB is):
    [​IMG]

7. Ben Jordan

Ben
    So nobody can tell me, in dB, how loud a 22-31PCi can go to what Hz? For example: "about 75dB at 17Hz" ? Any ideas? [​IMG]

8. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

the svs published chart doesnt give absolute dB numbers, just relative. its hard to find hard numbers about dB at each frequency. tom nousaine published some but only for the older svs subs.

9. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Well, I have two of the older 22-31CS's and I played pure test tones on one of my Test Disc's that were somewhere in the 30 - 40Hz range and it made me very dizzy and somewhat nauseous. I just loaned my db meter to my father-in-law so I can't give you specific numbers.
    At 20Hz their still pretty darned powerful. No more hearing just feeling the house shake. My kids love it. It "tickles their tummies". [​IMG] I don't do this often though.

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

SPL at freqs:

Room placement and SIZE of that room will have a big bearing on spl or volume at a particular frequency. No body can give you hard numbers of what to expect.

Also if you plan to do any eq-ing with something like a BFD, this will have an effect on it also. Especialy if boosting freqs.

Simulations can give a ballpark figures and sometimes be realitivly close.

Shoot TV at SVS an email with what your asking and include your room size, shape, and prefered sub location. Also the tune your asking about and he might be able to give you an reasonable idea of what to expect.....

Geoff

EDIT:
    After re-reading your starting post I now see you have a 22-31... Sorry! With the sub rolling off at tuning ~{of course spl will drop and you are suseptable to bootoming the driver}~ when pushing freqs blow tuning. Play and test tone DVD or CD like the Stryke Test CD-Vol-1 and use the spl meter to gauge what you can and are getting at those freqs in your room.....

Max SPL before bottoming:
    Always be carefull when doing this as the voice coil will heat quickly without a rest here and their if you play them for longer periods of more than a few seconds when looking for max spl. And don't forget to ~{add your correction numbers}~ to your readings at the frequency.

Happy testing!!!!

11. Ben Jordan

Ben
    Thanks Geoff, I've ordered the Stryke Test CD v1, and will be getting a BFD soon.

12. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

Does that mean I can call my sub the SVS 12-46PC PLUS ?
    [​IMG]

13. Ben Jordan

Ben
    I don't see why not! [​IMG]