What's new

how low do movies go these days HZ (1 Viewer)

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
I am just wondering if any one knows around how low movies like LOTR go in HZ. I'm just curious. I'm presuming below 20hz but how far? Is Lotr considered the movie that goes the lowest, it seems like the one I hear about in almost every sub thread.

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jake,how are you?
I heard that the THX intro(the earth exploding) goes even lower than 10 HZ.

Later.
Antonio

RayJK

Stunt Coordinator
There is a scene in Black Hawk Down that I can count by eye my woofer going in and out. Has to be 3-5 hz.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Jake,

FOTR is often mentioned in these types of discussions because nearly EVERY scene has some decent sub material. Tom @ SVS gives some detail here.

The 3-5Hz scene in BHD is the lowest that I'm aware of. Check this thread for more details.

JKS

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
More and more movies are coming out with deep bass material in it. Though most movie material (95%) will stay in the 30-hz and above area many movies do drop well below that.

To experience true clean sub sonic BASS, (I consider this to be 20hz and below) is very impressive to the point of almost being scary. Even at higher SPL levels, you really don't hear much, but the felling of presserizing the room is amazing. It makes the hair on your body stand on end. Is having a sub thats capable of producing clean bass to 20hz with some spl absolutly needed, over all NO.
BUT IMO yes, simply for those movies that make use of sub sonic material. Especialy the last few years has produced more and more movie material that dose in fact make use of sub sonic bass. Some as low as metioned above in BHD, 5hz.... Very few subs can dream of producing that regardless of spl, compression, and distortion.

Designed DIY for this is about all thats available for 10hz and under. There may be some comercial subs that I am unaware of that can do this but I don't know of them. I think wanting to go that deep is pushing the envelope and little material is out their in that range, but a least a sub capable to 20hz clean is a must in my movie/pipe organ music book.

Many people, once they here what they have been missing in these deep bass to sub sonic bass movies, very quickly get the craving for a sub thats capable of producing this. It's insainly scary, neat, cool, and impressive to pump out some clean 20hz or even under preferably. It makes a movie with that kind of sub freqs in it, all the more suspensful and impressive.

A search here for deep bass movies will bring you quite a list along with SVS's very nice movie, time, and place waterfall charts. Those with out a sub, regardless if it's 20hz capable, are really missing out on material that really adds to the movies suspence & build up.

Keep it shaken
Geoff

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
As a thrilled SVS 20-39PC+ owner, I must concur whole heartedly, Geoff.

From my DVD collection, these movies all have excellent bass. Yes, some of them go subsonic, but the majority of the bass on these discs is in the 20-30 Hz region.

Regards,

Ed

A. I.: Artificial Intelligence (dts)
Air Force One
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Band of Brothers
Black Hawk Down
Blade II (dts)
Brotherhood of the Wolf
From Hell (dts)
The Haunting (dts)
Jurassic Park III (dts)
K-19: The Widowmaker
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (theatrical version is strongest)
The Matrix
Minority Report (dts)
Monsters, Inc.
Pearl Harbor (dts)
Saving Private Ryan (dts)
Star Wars Episode I: Phantom Menace
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Terminator 2 (dts)
Titan A. E. (dts)
Toy Story 2
U-571 (dts)
We Were Soldiers

terence

Supporting Actor
I too own a 20-39PC+ & must agree totally with Geoff and Edward. Now i'm spoiled with the new dvd's with sub sonic BASS! The movies i know for sure go really low are:

Blue Crush- the ocean never souded so good!
Titan A. E. (dts)(Sick low Bass)
Atlantis: The Lost Empire (Sick low Bass)
Toy Story 2
U-571 (dts) (Sick Bass)
We Were Soldiers (Sick Bass)
Lord of the Rings
Monsters, Inc.
Pearl Harbor (dts) Right at the end of disc one when the president is speaking, there is a quick 2sec ultra low end.
Saving Private Ryan (dts)
Star Wars Episode I: Phantom Menace (Sick Bass)
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (Sick Bass)

I know i listed sonme of the same movie, but if you have not heard these movies yet please do!!

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Adding to the above list - most taking advantage of DVD 20 Hz to 20 kHz surround specs. ...

"A Bug's Life"
"Antz"
"Armageddon" - SE
"Atlantis: The Lost Empire" - CE
"Blue Man Group" DTS
"Dante's Peak"
"Final Fantasy"
"GalaxyQuest" DTS
"Goldeneye"
"ID-4"
"Iron Giant"
"Jimmy Neutron - The Boy Genius"
"The Last Action Hero"
"Lost in Space"
"Men in Black I & II"
"Mystery Men"
"Stargate" UE DTS
"Star Trek - First Contact"
"The Mask of Zorro" SuperBit DTS
"The Mummy I & II"
"The World is Not Enough"
"Titanic"
"Tomb Raider"
"Tomorrow Never Dies"
"Toy Story 1 & 2" including THX trailers - from ToyBox collection
"Tron"
"Twister" DTS
"X-Men"
"xXx"

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks