What's new

how loud do you go? (1 Viewer)

chuckg

Supporting Actor
ha ha . I was trying to be funny, but my reference was too obscure. Sigh.

In the film "Spinal Tap" the band guys were talking about how loud they play, and all their amps had dials that went to eleven instead of just ten. The interviewer was trying to ask why they go to eleven, instead of just making the amps louder at ten, and leaving ten as maximum. A sound installer and band gear seller I once worked for sold little volume knobs that went to eleven just for laughs.

What I would say, in all honesty, is that I have never found out how loud my system is because by the time I get to about -12 dB, the whole house is shaking violenty, neigboring homes are quivering, and dogs two blocks away are howling. Yet - there is no audible distortion.

With The Who playing at 100 dB plus, I can only just barely hear it outside my concrete block bunker.

Lodness itself is a worthless measure, as others have alluded. It is the cleanliness of the sound, and the "spaciousness" or the surround field, that impresses the true audiophile. My system is pretty darn decent for the money - far better than a movie theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks