What's new

How long until grape jelly goes bad? (1 Viewer)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
While stupid me, took my lunch which included PB&J sandwiches in it out of the fridge and left in on the kitchen table and went off to work. My question is how long will the jelly last in roughly 68 degree room temperature in a air tight container?

P.S Im board at work because I just had a snack for lunch, thus why im posting about jelly.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
"When in doubt, throw it out!"

Paying a couple of bucks for a new jar of jelly is not a high price to pay for insurance against a potentially monster case of the shits you might get from eating spoiled jelly!

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Funny this thread pops up b/c being the idiot that I am, I was making pb&j w/ Smucker's Concord Grape jelly during the fall, and I didn't refrigerate the jelly at all! It lasted a month before fuzz grew!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I was just wondering this same thing about taco sauce last night. I noticed the bottle doesn't have an expiration date.. but it says "refrigerate after openning". Does this mean, as long as I keep it refrigerated, I can pass it on to my grandkids? :)
As far as the PB&J goes... leave it on the counter until you are absolutely sure it's bad.. then throw it out. My wife and I do this all the time. We'll pull some leftovers that may still be good, but both of us know that neither of us is going to take the risk and eat 'em. So, we put them back until we're sure they're no good and then throw them out. I laugh every time we do it.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
I think you're good till the mold starts. I sure wouldn't throw it away after 8-10 hours outta the fridge.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Mold on food is not always unhealthy. Have you ever seen the whole hams that are sold in muslin bags (popular around Thanksgiving and Christmas) I have seen hams covered in blue mold in those bags (I used to be a butcher many years ago). You can trim it off, or eat it if you wish, it's harmless.
Now when the meat smells and has a sheen that glistens, that's another story.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Gross but true story: My aunt pulled some decade old jelly out of her fridge and it had separated...the sugar was all on the bottom.
She actually put it in the microwave and stirred it up again and put it back in the fridge. YIKES.
Says she's been using it for years....and she's OK (Well...physically maybe :)).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks