How long of an extension cord is safe?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Parris, Jan 30, 2003.

1. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to be running my DVD player, LCD projector, reciever, VCR, PS2, and X-Box off a single surge protector, but I don't have a convienent plug close enough.

First of all-- will it be OKAY to run all this off a single surge protector? Keep in mind the biggest load would be projector, reciever, and dvd player at once... no reason to run ALL of that at the same time.

Second of all-- what KIND of extension cord should I get? Have no experience in this area... hopefully I could pick this up at home depot when I go to buy some stuff for my screen. I'm on a bit of a budget, too. My equipment isnt really nice enough to dump a hundred+ dollars into some fancy power conditioner or anything like that...

Third-- how LONG can this extension cord be? i'd like it if it could be as long as 20 ft. but is this possible/safe?

If this is just an overall BAD idea, then let me know and I'll try and re-configure my room to accomodate.

Thanks in advance!

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

an extension cord's maximum wattage rating is dependent on both the size of the conductor (wire gauge size) and the length of the cord. you'll have to refer to the back of your units and/or manuals, add up the maximum wattage, and find something appropriate. no reason why everything can't go into one surge protector. see the other post in the tweaks area for some suggestions. there's a nice little article on extension cords here. should be enough to get you going.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Am I the only one confused here?

4. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator