How long is too long?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Sidden, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Mike_Sidden

Mike_Sidden Auditioning

I'm building an entertainment system for my "soon to own" Sony 57WV700 and I want to move my sub to the other side of the room. Going behind, up, over, and down will most likely be a good 50ft. Can anyone tell me if this will work and if so, what kind of wire to use? I was thinking RG6 Coax with RCA ends. So, how long can a sub cable be before it starts to lose it's signal or sound like a rock in a coffee can?

Thanks

Mike S. [​IMG]

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

One time I tried out a 30 foot long subwoofer cable and compared it to a short 6ft one.

A difference was the phase so you may need to adjust it so the sub doesn't cancel out with the mains.

I really don't know how the quality of the bass will sound though.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have such a scenario in my current room. The second sub's location is at the back of the room using a 50' length of RG6 with F-RCA ends and it works great. For long runs I recommend it rather than breaking the bank with a long custom store bought cable.

4. Mike_Sidden

Mike_Sidden Auditioning

Hey Guys,

Thanks Neil and Chris. That answers my question. I'll set it up and maybe post my results here later.

Mike S. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    For a friend, I used wall plates from Radio Shack with an adapter. On the front was your standard RCA connection but on the back was a barrel connector. Hiding the coax cable behind plates made his wife really happy.

-Robert